"Not a word."

Sometimes I wish I was an octopus so I could slap eight people at once.

I couldn't tell if people were becoming more annoying or I was becoming angrier. I was starting to think I have anger issues.

And I knew where the anger was rooting from.

The man had disappeared into thin air. I had called multiple times since then. I had contemplated over the reason why he was so dead set on having me on his team, yet he never replied to any of my calls. It could have been because he handed me the wrong number. Or that he was in trouble. Maybe he was dead.

I hoped to god that he wasn't.

I was only recently getting fond of the idea of werewolves. He opened dreams for me and then he left them unanswered. All I had from him were a name that could possibly be fake and a phone number that never answered. I wish I could ignore him like how he ignored me.

God damn it.

With a big huff, I slammed the door of my apartment and walked towards the elevator. It was almost dark, and I was left alone with my thoughts. Again. It needed to stop.

I wasn't even sure if my memory served me correctly. It had been a month since, but he came here with balloons, right? Going to surprise miss whatever her name was. At the 41st floor.

I didn't even remember what unit she was in.

But I was feeling desperate. I needed to find him. This was my last option. If this didn't work out I promised myself to forget about the whole thing and never ponder on it ever again. The only reason why I didn't use my lead before this was because of the danger I would be putting myself into.

Who knew what lay in that unit?

The elevator doors opened on the 41st floor.
There was a long empty hall. Doors on either side of it. I couldn't use my eyes to see what hid behind them, so that left me with the other sense I could use; my hearing. I closed my eyes and focused.

There were multiple sounds coming from various sources. The AC, someone was talking on the phone, a tv was on in another unit. The elevator was quite annoying as the sound of it was dominating the others, so I moved away.

I was walking slowly, making as little sound as possible to be able to focus on the noises coming from my surroundings. My eyes were firmly shut, my ears guiding me. I was focusing on blocking out the scratching sound my shoes made from rubbing against the rug beneath my feet when out of nowhere sounds of barking started.

Fucking hell.

I hissed abruptly moving away from the dog who thought I was an intruder, cursing the little beast to hell.

I reached the end of the hallway, feeling somewhat hopeless. I don't know what I was expecting to find exactly. It wasn't like there was going to be a door with a big arrow on top waiting for me. I was growing more and more despondent. I had no lead whatsoever.

I guess that meant bye bye to-

Wait a minute.

Why couldn't I hear anything?

There was absolutely no sound coming from this unit. I looked to see it was unit 4114. There was almost complete silence. No voice, no tv, not even the sound of the wind could be heard. It was soundproofed. Now why would this one unit be soundproofed while the rest were not? Possibly because this one had something to hide.

Fucking finally.

My ear was pressed to the door. I couldn't hear much but I swear I sensed movement coming from inside.