Chapter Three

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Been at Anita's for an hour and he hasn't shown up. The others are getting antsy because they want to drop and they're right, if we don't take those pills soon we'll be up all night. Oh well.

Later

Wait, he's here.

Late Again

We were about to drop when Carly saw him turning into Anita's front garden from the kitchen window. We waited for him to knock and then Anita was like, 'Well, answer it, dummy,' even though it's her house so I went and opened the door and said, 'You're late.'

And he said, 'I got lost.'

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Okay, serious entry for once. I'm a bit all over the place right now because even if I hadn't taken a mind-altering substance last night the shit that went down was messy and fucked and the whole point of keeping journals like this is to sort through your thoughts, right? So here we go.

So I let him in and kind of expected him to be a bit freaked because the first thing he saw was all my friends standing around in the kitchen surrounded by drug paraphernalia but he just kind of took a moment to take it in and then gave this slow smile and nodded a little and my friends started introducing themselves. We dropped a couple of minutes later and goddamn, Anita has redeemed herself because that shit was strong. It only took like a half hour to come up and soon Anita and Lewis were doing yoga and heavy breathing and Abby and Carly had started gurning like gremlins and waxing on about how great water tasted. Morons. Byron was sort of sitting on the couch by himself just running his hands across the fabric and smiling so I went to sit by him and asked him how he was feeling and he said, 'Ecstatic.'

And after about an hour of this everyone started getting hardcore feels and telling each other how much they love each other and confiding things they can't talk about sober and breaking off into splinter groups to bond so I took Byron to Anita's room and got him a glass of water and asked him if there was anything he wanted to talk about. And he said, 'This is my first time.'

So obviously I was like wtf why didn't you say anything I could have talked you through it, but he said it was fine and he was having a really amazing time. And then he asked if he could show me something so I said of course and he took this piece of paper out of his pocket that he'd scribbled a list on, and also a lot of his doodling. So I took it and read it and holy shit. It was a bucket list. Kid has a bucket list of twelve things he wants to do over the next twelve months BEFORE HE DIES. This is the list:

My "Year To Live" Bucket List

January: Make friends with the boy

February: Class A

March: See the Northern Lights

April: Learn a language

May: Climb a mountain

June: Visit a foreign country

July: Skydive

August: Go to a music festival

September: Get a tattoo

October: Give back

November: Fall in love

December: Get kissed at midnight on New Years Eve