Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Ahsoka Tano swerved through an onslaught of blaster bolts as the vulture droid chasing her Jedi Fighter refused to back down. Using a maneuver her master had taught her, she finally caused the droid to crash and she continued on her current flight course.

"Nice job, Snips," Anakin Skywalker praised through the comm. Ahsoka smirked, hiding the fact that she hadn't been sure if she would shake it. "Lock onto him, Artoo," Master Skywalker commanded his ever-present white and blue astromech, who whistled in response.

Ahsoka, Anakin, and Master Obi-Wan Kenobi had been called upon to lead a hasty rescue mission. General Grievous, leader of the droid army, had surprised everyone when he ambushed Coruscant and captured Chancellor Palpatine. The Jedi Council had immediately dispatched the three Jedi Knights to attack General Grievous's fleet and prevent him from leaving at least until they had rescued the Chancellor. While the large battleships fought, the Jedi and their clone squadrons flew through the space battle in smaller ships in order to board Grievous's ship and rescue the Chancellor. If they succeeded in obtaining Grievous along the way, all the better.

Ahsoka smiled at the thought of her Jedi Knight status. The Jedi Council had deemed her escape from prison, temporary experience on the run from the Republic, and eventual clearance of all blame for bombing the Jedi Temple and Letta Turmond's murder, worthy of her promotion. Her Padawan chain had been removed by Master Yoda's lightsaber, and seventeen-year-old Ahsoka had been granted the rank of Jedi Knight, becoming one of the youngest ever Knighted.

An explosion rocked her ship, shaking Ahsoka from her thoughts. "Watch it, Ahsoka," Anakin warned.

"Got it, Master," she shot at the droid which had fired at her, successfully taking it out. She silently vowed to keep her mind on the mission at hand.

Ahsoka glanced over at her master's yellow star-fighter, seeing him spinning and shooting down enemy ships each second. Nearby, Obi-Wan followed in his red starfighter. "Let's show 'em what we've got, Arseven," Ahsoka coaxed her own astro droid, R7-A7.

Ahsoka flipped over her two companions' ships and fired at the oncoming droids.

"Master, General Grievous's ship is directly ahead. The one crawling with vulture droids," Anakin reported and Ahsoka located the ship he was talking about.

"Oh, I see it. Oh, this is going to be easy." Master Kenobi commented sarcastically. "Oddball, do you copy?"

"Copy, Red Leader," came Oddball's voice.

"Mark my position," Obi-Wan said, "form your squad up behind me."

"We're on your tail, General Kenobi. Set S-foils in attack position."

"This is where the fun begins," Ahsoka could hear the grin in Anakin's voice.

"You got that right, Master," she agreed. Ahsoka never got used to the thrill of battle.

"Let them pass between us," Obi-Wan said, focused on the mission as they flew through a cluster of droid tri-fighters.

"They're all over me. Get them off my—" A clone trooper's voice crackled in Ahsoka's ear.

"Trooper? Trooper!" Ahsoka demanded.

"I'm gonna go help them out," Master Skywalker said.

"Me too," Ahsoka agreed.

"No. No, they are doing their job so we can do ours," Obi-Wan commanded.

Anakin's sigh came through the comm, but he stayed on their current course, and Ahsoka obeyed too. Then Anakin spoke again, "Missiles! Pull up!"