5

The day had finally come around. It had been a whole year since Greg had been gone. The day Niall lost his best friend. He woke up and looked around his room immediately tearing up. He remembered when the spot by the window was used to occupy Greg's bed. They had a little argument over who got to have their bed next to the window and Greg pulled out the "I'm older" line and won even though he was only older by a few minutes. Now that he was gone, Niall didn't want the spot against the window. He left that space empty. It took Jay six months to convince Niall to let her move the bed out of the room. She did it because she said he couldn't hold on to something that wasn't there any more but he'd always have the memories etched in his brain. She cleaned out his side of the closet but Niall took a few clothing items when she wasn't looking though. He placed them in a plastic bag and would take them out at night sometimes and just hold them, inhaling his scent.
He still couldn't believe he was gone.

He remembered the day that it happened. He didn't leave his room for months and that's when the depression started, spiralling down until he resorted to self harm. Niall couldn't think about it any more, he had enough. He got out of bed, throwing all his blankets to the floor. He pushed his lamp off his bedside table and pushed his dresser over so it was blocking the door. He continued to destroy his room, he was tired of always pretending to be happy. He couldn't do it. He grabbed his razor and slashed at his wrists violently before pulling down the sleeves of his jumper, letting the blood soak the black fabric, nobody would notice and Niall craved the pain.

"Niall?...Niall! Let me in Niall! This isn't funny, I'm going to call mum Niall!" Niall ignored him and just continued to throw his things around and scream. Louis finally slammed into the door with so much force that he was able to move the dresser enough to get in. As soon as he saw Niall he grabbed him and held him against his chest. Niall blindly threw hits and kicks at Louis as he sobbed but Louis continued to hold him.

"IT'S NOT FAIR LOUIS IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR!"

"Niall shh, it's okay. I'm here Ni. I know it's hard but you'll be okay." Louis cooed in his ear as he softly carded his fingers through his younger brother's hair. Niall reduced to loud sobs as he allowed Louis to hold him. After awhile Niall fell asleep so Louis took him back to his room and tucked him into bed before kissing his forehead and going back to Niall's room to start cleaning up. It took about two hours to clean the whole thing and when he was done he went to go check on Niall. He opened the door and found him still asleep with tears stains on his red and blotchy cheeks. He quietly closed the door and went downstairs. He sat on the couch and pulled out his phone, dialling a number and waiting as it rang.

"London Regional Hospital how may I help you?"

"Can I speak with Nurse Tomlinson please? Tell her it's her son Louis and it's urgent."

"Of course Louis, one second." Louis waited for about thirty seconds before being connected to another line.

"Hello?"

"Mum?"

"Lou, is everything alright love?"

"Not exactly mum, you know how it's been a year since Greg...um, yeah, Niall didn't take it well. He was screaming and he completely destroyed his room. I finally got him to calm down and fall asleep and I cleaned his room up as best as I could but there's a hole in the wall now from when he punched it. I'm afraid he's going to lose it again when he wakes up."

"Oh dear, I knew he might sad today but I didn't expect that. Okay Louis I'm coming home, if he wakes up before I get there do everything you can to try and keep him calm okay?"

"Okay mum, I love you."

"I love you too baby, I'll see you in a little bit." Jay said before hanging up. Louis went back upstairs and saw Niall awake, with tears streaming down his face. Louis quickly climbed into bed next to him and played with his hair gently, it always worked to calm him down a bit.

"I miss him Lou." He whispered between sobs.

"I miss him too babe, so does mum. I know it's hard but I know he wouldn't want you to be sad like this. Where's the happy Niall we see every day?" Niall wanted so badly to tell Louis that he faked his happiness and that he had been self harming for a year. He didn't want pity but he wanted help. He didn't like being like this but he just couldn't bring himself to say anything, instead he smiled a weak smile.

"There's that beautiful smile." Niall buried himself into Louis chest and cried silently as Louis just rubbed his back, not caring that his shirt was becoming soaked. Five minutes later this was a soft knock at the door followed by the sound of it opening a few seconds later.

"I'm home." Jay said softly, walking over to the bed. She gently shook Niall and he looked up from Louis' chest. She held her arms out for him and Niall gladly reached up and allowed her to pick him up. He didn't care that he was 15 and looked absolutely childish right now, he needed his mum. Jay mouthed a thank you to Louis and carried Niall out of the room into the loo, running a hot bath. She attempted to pull Niall's jumper off but he yanked his arm away and held on to her tighter. He couldn't let her see the cuts.

"Okay, I'll leave the room so you can undress and get in then I'll come back and we can talk yeah?" Niall nodded and she placed him on the ground and left, closing the door. He added bubbles to the water and stepped out of his clothes and got in the water, making sure all of his cuts and scars were covered up by the bubbles before calling Jay back in. She opened the door and sat on the toilet seat.

"Ni, why did you trash your room love?" She said calmly.

"I was hurt and upset. M' sorry."

"I'm not mad baby I just want to know what's going through your head." Niall was silent for a moment.

"I miss him so much mum, him and Louis are my best friends. I feel incomplete without my twin. I need him here mum, I feel so lost. I wish I could have done something."

"Baby there's nothing you could have done, nothing any of us could have done and you know that. We all miss him but he wouldn't want to see you this upset. How about you finish up your bath then you and Louis can sleep with me in my room tonight okay?" Niall nodded and Jay leaned over and kissed his forehead before leaving and closing the door.

So now that you have a little bit of context, what do you think happened to Greg?