T W O

a/n: in this fanfiction, Esme is just not going to be a character. I love her so much, but for the concept of this story her presence would just complicate things because it's a Carlisle romance. So let's just pretend that she doesn't exist and try to to cry without our vampire mom to comfort us 😢😌

Eleanor Martin's POV

I nearly leap for joy when I see a doctor gently steering Gran's wheelchair around the corner of the long hallway leading to the waiting room. I spring from my chair as if it were on fire, desperate to get away from Snot Boy, which I had  endearingly decided to call him. He lived up to his title, that's for sure. I don't think that his poor mother could  have been able to fit one more used tissue into the trashcan between them.

"Ellie?" I hear Gran call out when she sees me approaching. "You made it!"

"Hey, Gran," I smile, coming to a stop in front of her and looking up at the doctor who had a hold on the grips of her wheelchair, reading his name from his coat. "Dr. Cullen, I presume?"

"Ah yes," he nods, extending his pale hand for me to shake. "And you must be the Eleanor that she's been talking about all afternoon."

I smile wryly, releasing his extraordinarily cold hand and looking down at Gran.

"That must be me." I smile, glancing at Dr. Cullen's face for the first time.

I am taken aback by his appearance. The first thing that draws me in are his warm, uniquely golden-colored eyes. Then I notice the pallor quality of his skin and his flaxen, neatly slicked-back hair.

Something about him immediately makes the hair on the back of my neck and arms stand on end; as if I were in danger. I find myself unable to hold his oddly intense gaze for longer than an instant, immediately feeling inferior for some reason. This unexplainable instinct of fear is completely out of character for me, especially when this man has been nothing but kind to be in the few sentences that we have exchanged.

I force myself to be calm, not understanding the sudden wave of uneasiness that this perfectly normal doctor has brought upon me. I look back up, awaiting any instruction that he has to offer me. His gaze has not wavered, and his eyes that I explicitly remember to be a topaz color now seem to be pure black. He swallows, clearing his throat and blinking a few times as I try to figure out if his eyes changed colors, if my eyes were playing tricks on me, or if I need to be locked into a padded room.

"I've decided to start her on two new medications," he finally starts, his voice as smooth and as sweet as honey. "They're more progressive in her treatment. The dosage instructions are listed on this information sheet," he hands me a piece of paper along with a white paper sack containing plastic pill bottles. "Her next appointment is scheduled for the same time next week, but if any problems seem to arise from the new medication we could get her in sooner."

"That's great, thanks." I nod, skimming over the paper and tucking a strand of hair behind my hear as I read.

"Here's my card," Dr. Cullen says, using his clipboard as a writing surface and clicking his pen, circling one of the numbers. "If you have any questions, this is my work number. If I'm not answering and it's something urgent, feel free to call my mobile."

"I really appreciate it," I smile, my heart feeling heavy as I look down at Gran, who is sweetly humming and watching the bustling people in the lobby. "I've never really done anything like this, so it will definitely be a learning experience."

"Well I've got lots of experience, so if you're ever in a bind, you know who to call," he offers me a close-mouthed smile, his eyes gold again, making me blink in confused suspicion. "You two have a nice week."

"You too," I say and he walks away, sending me one last - and almost forlorn - glance over his shoulder before disappearing around the corner. "Alright, Gran! Are you ready to go home?"

She nods with a smile, pulling me down to kiss my cheek and tightly squeeze my hand. Her sweet actions warm my heart as I make sure that her hat, scarf, coat, and gloves are all securely on her to protect her from the cold. By the time I'm done, she looks like a brightly-colored mummy.

I adjust her scarf one last time to keep her face warm, and I glance up as I do so only to see Dr. Cullen standing at the main desk, handing a file to the secretary. He is already watching me when I look up, and I offer a last smile and a small wave before grabbing Gran's wheelchair and walking the two of us out to my car.

I help her into the passenger seat and squeeze the chair into the trunk alongside my suitcases before getting in and cranking the heat. The whole trip to Gran's house, she tells me all about the news and gossip that I've missed in Forks since I was here a few months ago.

As I listen to her stories, I relax and decide that I will make the most of this visit. I won't take any second with Gran forgranted, because I know that I won't have too much longer to make memories with her.