F O U R T E E N

Eleanor Martin's POV

This morning, we received a letter from the Volturi. More specifically from Aro. He extended an invitation for us to travel to Italy so that he could meet me, but Carlisle said that the invitation wasn't truly an invitation because we couldn't really turn it down.

I am extremely nervous every about being on a plane full of humans, but Carlisle assures me that we will hunt beforehand and that he would be there with me the whole time along with Alice, Jasper, and Edward. Bella is staying behind with Renesmee along with Emmett and Rosalie. We spend the rest of the day packing a small bag and hunting before hopping onto a flight to St. Louis, then to New York, and finally to Italy.

Everything surprisingly went off without a hitch because I held my breath the entire time and I had Carlisle by my side along with Jasper keeping me calm. We arrive in Volterra, running to where I knew I would have to face the Volturi. We are greeted by three red-eyed vampires like myself who Carlisle refers to Jane, Alec, and Demetri.

Jane gives me a sneer and Demetri gazes at me with an expression of slight interest while Alec ignores me altogether. We follow the three into an elevator, barely managing to squeeze all of us inside. Jasper quickly lessens the uncomfortable tension, making me relax as I grip tightly onto Carlisle and Alice's hands.

We quickly exit the elevator when it stops, walking down the hallway to a room with guarded doors. The guards open them and we all enter, seeing three male vampires seated in what look like thrones as a few random vampires litter the outskirts of the room.

"Ah! The young Eleanor has arrived!" The one I automatically know to be Aro cries with a deceptively excited smile before approaching and turning to Carlisle. "It's wonderful to see that you've finally found your mate, old friend."

"Thank you." Carlisle replies as Aro grabs his hand firmly, holding it for a few moments as he looks into his thoughts like Alice said he would do to me.

I know about the time that Carlisle used to run with the Volturi, and I think back to the painting hung in his study of him, Aro, Marcus, and Caius. I recognize those two to be the others sitting down in the room.

Marcus gazes down the bridge of his nose at me with a mild expression while the significantly younger-looking Caius glares from his seat with a prideful arrogance about him. My attention is drawn away from them when I hear Aro speak to me.

"I must say that you make an absolutely stunning newborn, Dear," he gazes at me with an unreadable expression. "Quite possibly the most beautiful I have seen in my years."

"Thank you." I say shortly, not sure what else to reply with.

He extends his hand to me palm-up, waiting for me to place my hand into his own. I hesitate and look at him uncertainly, but he blinks and slightly tilts his head as if trying to welcome me. I step forward only enough for our hands to touch, but he drags me in closer so that the toes of my shoes are flush his own.

He runs his grip down to my forearm, his long fingers splayed across my equally cold and pale skin as his red eyes stare deeply into mine. He holds me close as he digs through my mind, making me feel uncomfortable and invaded. After what feels like an eternity, he finally releases me and I dart backwards, slamming against Carlisle's chest with a loud smack that echoes around the stone room. Carlisle soothes me, running his hands down my shoulders to my wrists before holding my waist and I close my eyes briefly.

"Absolutely intriguing," Aro speaks, and I open my eyes to watch him. "And I've seen that she hasn't developed any gifts, yes?"

"Yes, that's correct." Carlisle speaks, his mere voice sending shocks of attraction and love through my body.

"You possess more power within you than any vampire I have ever encountered. I can feel it... Sense it." Aro draws out, pacing silently before us, and I hear Edward clear his throat behind me.

"She's not interested in staying here, Aro." Edward says, and I glance back to see six unfamiliar guards standing a bit behind him, Jasper, and Alice.

"You are not the only one who can look into the minds of others, Edward," Aro says. "Do you think that I had not seen that when I delved into her thoughts? I believe that a great ability lies within her..." He trails off, his gaze flicking to where Carlisle and I are standing. "And I believe that I know how to draw it out of hiding."