S I X T E E N

A/N: i previously had vampire edits of myself and a friend here but removed them for privacy reasons as this book grows, so disregard any comments that seem out of place

Eleanor Martin's POV

I begin to walk down the hallway when the two vampires who were guarding the door step calmly into my path, not threatening me but preventing me from proceeding down the corridor.

They have dark hair and matching red eyes, one of them standing at about 5'7" while the other is shorter: closer to 5'4". Their behavior and body language towards each other are enough for me to assume that they are either sisters or dear friends. They both look to be 18 or 19 years old.

It disconcerts me to see such young lives stunted in their prime, but at the same time I do not let my guard down simply because of their age.

"We mean you no harm," the shorter girl speaks in a strong Italian accent, indicating that this country is their birthplace. "It's just that Eliza and I overheard your... predicament."

"We wish to assist you in finding the rogue who killed your family," the Eliza speaks, her voice high and dainty; a stark difference from her companion's soft and slightly raspy voice, but it holds the same Italian accent. "Carissa and I lost our families in a similar manner many decades ago when our village was attacked."

"Why should I trust you?" I ask them. "And how do I know that you will even be able to find him?"

"We are very proficient trackers," Carissa assures me with a confident smile. "Aro utilizes our skills often to track down rogues who are endangering the secrecy of our kind."

"So what if you guys do help me? Would I have to pay you or something?" I question quietly.

"Carissa and I do not wish to obtain anything from this. We simply want to help you gain revenge." Eliza deadpans.

"And if your abilities are as powerful as Aro says, we would like to get on your good side." Carissa laughs openly, making a small smile grow on my face at the first happy sound I have heard since entering this God-forsaken castle.

"What would you need me to do?" I inquire.

"We just need a way to keep in contact with you as we track and some place to catch the rogue's most recently known scent." Eliza says, and I nod at her.

I figure that my parent's house is still considered a crime scene, so traffic through there is limited. I give them the address, knowing that the rogue's scent surely still lingers in the air or on the furniture. They take my phone number and we part ways, then promising to be in touch once they make it to America sometime within the next week.

The three of us part ways, and I inhale deeply to find Carlisle's scent, my throat burning when I smell human servants scattered throughout the castle. I ignore their aromas, pinpointing Carlisle's location and following the sound of his extremely faint voice as he speaks to the others. He is finally in sight and he catches my scent, turning to face me and meets me halfway, holding me in his arms.

"How did it go?" He asks me as we walk to join the others.

"Pretty well considering he wanted me to help him become the Neo-Hitler of the vampire world," I smirk wryly. "And I'm sure you are already aware of how much he hates to be told no."

"Very much so," Carlisle chuckles. "I'm glad that everything went well, though."

"I told you that everything would be fine," Alice smiles, grabbing my arm. "Now let's go home."