Chapter 12- The Monster Inside

------------------------------------------

The sun was setting, marking the day as done as pretty oranges and reds mixed in the sky, the sight absolutely stunning.

Rangel pulls me over by the pond, sitting on the bench close to the water with me on his lap even though there was plenty of space for me to sit next to him.

The silence between us had me about banging my head with my fist before Rangel finally speaks up, "Listen, I know you've probably been visiting Leon lately, and I'm really trying to figure out why when I'm here."

I look into his yellowish eyes, searching them.

His words smack me across the face, making me realize I was only hurting both of them by acting like I loved them both...

Well, denying would get me nowhere. It's time to be completely honest with Rangel.

"I'm sorry," I tell him. "It's just when you get me upset, it only gives me another reason to not be with you and to visit him."

"Yeah, you visit him to use his shoulder to cry on," he speaks. "You expect me to believe that you haven't given yourself to him either?"

His expression turns hard upon his words.

"No, we talk," I bite out.

"You talk? What, about your future with him?" Rangel questions, trying to keep his cool. But, the yellow gleam in his eyes told me otherwise.

"Okay fine, maybe we've been talking about the feelings between us," I admit.

Rangel smacks me, his anger finally unleashed.

"And here I am apologizing to you?" He angrily growls.

I hold my cheek, sternly gazing him in the eye.

"If you wouldn't get me all up in a twist, I wouldn't be tempted to go see Leon," I reply.

He chuckles mockingly. "Now the blame is fired back on me? Estelle, why is it so damn hard for you to admit that you made a mistake and it was bad and wrong?"

"You'll hurt me," I whisper.

Rangel takes my face in both hands, his thumb stroking over the skin he had smacked.

"That guy angers me. Just the thought of him touching you.... It absolutely grinds at me," he says to me, his eyes dimming to the usual their yellow.

"Then don't give me a reason to go over to his door crying," I reply.

"Would you stop and just listen to me for once without pinning everything on me? Think about it, you could've went over to Ozzy's instead. You're real friend," Rangel says to me. "What is it with Leon?"

"He doesn't hold back with telling me things, he listens to me, says all his secrets to me-"

Rangel cuts me off.
"I get it. Leon is the 'dream guy' and instead your stuck with me. You don't have to rub it in, Estelle. How about you say at least two things you like about me."

I look at him. Really look at him for once. The little freckles on his nose or the flecks of orange in his eyes, or the fine blonde hairs of a mustache under his nose...