Eight - [Coffee.]

I had the same dream that night.

It was the same suffocating need to escape my mother's house. The same unfamiliar voice that drew me in a way I couldn't explain, especially considering I did not know who it was.

I woke up sweating and a little bit frantic, feeling a need to untangle myself from the heap of sheets and get out of the house. Hastily, I pulled on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, feeding Apollo before I went to the cafe where I had met Callie.

She wasn't working this morning, but a friendly waitress named Savannah greeted me as I slid into the booth.

"I'll just have a coffee, thank you," I said, declining the menu that she offered me. I wasn't hungry.

I heard the bell on the door behind me ring, and I thought of the dream again. It just didn't make any sense to me. What did it mean? I felt the presence of someone behind me before he spoke. I should have known it'd be him.

"Mind if I sit down?"

I turned, finding Brantley standing next to me. My heart thrummed in response, and I cursed myself for the reaction. It was just Brantley. The corners of my mouth turned up in a teasing smile.

"I suppose."

Brantley sat down across from me, and i was again reminded of how small I was in comparison to him. The heels of my feet didn't touch the floor, whereas his reached easily across to my side.

"Here are a couple coffees," Savannah said, plopping mine down rather unceremoniously but sliding Brantley's to him easily. "Let me know what you want to eat, doll."

She put his hand on his arm in a lingering touch, tossing me a much less friendly look than she had when I arrived. I raised an eyebrow, disarmed by her apparent hostility towards me.

"Savannah is...interested in me," Brantley explained hesitantly, noticing the questioning look on my face as I put hazelnut creamer in my coffee mug.

"And it's not reciprocated?" I asked, not looking up at him.

"No. She's not my type."

"Pretty and big boobed isn't your type?" I asked, and feeling guilty immediately for the implication that he was shallow. "Sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

Brantley smiled, shaking his head and taking a drink of his coffee.

"I know you didn't, it's alright. Savannah might be pretty but she's a bit dim, to be honest. And she's much to friendly for my liking."

"Friendly?" I asked.

"My mama raised me not to speak in the manner that would rightly describe her. She used to date a buddy of mine, and she cheated on him more times than I can count."

"I don't like cheaters."

His expression darkened for a split second as he looked out of the window.

"Yeah, me neither."

His expression lightened again, and he smiled.

"So what brings you here this early?"

"I couldn't sleep. You?"

"Meeting my parents for breakfast. Got here a bit early."

His parents. I looked out of the window for a moment, wondering vaguely what they were like. If he got his looks from his father or his mother; where his personality came from. His parents obviously instilled good qualities in him.

Brantley and I spoke for a few more minutes before I finished my coffee.

"I should head out. I've got some stuff to grab in town."

"Callie's throwing a party this weekend. You should come."

"I think I will," I answered and pulled out my wallet.

"Don't worry about it. I'll take care of it."

"Oh no, you don't have to do that," I answered, shaking my head.

"I insist. A gentleman always pays."

I sighed in resignation, realizing by the gentle firmness in his voice he wouldn't give up.

"Alright, but next time it's on me."

"We'll see," He said obscurely.

"Thank you, Brantley. I'll see you later."

I slipped out of the cafe, feeling better than I had when I walked in. This was easy. Brantley and I could be friends with no problems. Glad I felt more at ease, I shopped around town for a few more things I needed and headed back home.

The week flew by, and I spent most of it finding with Apollo. I spent a lot of time riding, staying on the trails this time to avoid the hogs. They were extensive, but I learned the first few miles by heart in a couple of days.

Apollo continued to be laid back, but I learned he had a fear of thunderstorms when it rained hard on Wednesday. He refused to even come out of his stall so I could clean it out.

In the short time that I had him, I'd fallen in love. He was happy to see me in the morning and would often nuzzle me if I didn't pet him when he wanted me to. His disposition was always pleasant, and he seemed to trust me already. I wondered if I would get him a friend.

Early Friday evening, Callie called me to ask if I wanted to help set up. She picked me up and we set up beer pong tables and some coolers with drinks in them. We gathered wood for a fire, and set some chairs and stumps around it for sitting. Callie backed her truck up so we could sit on her tailgate before the fire.

When it started to get dark, the first few people started to show up. Callie went to help someone pull a keg out of the back of a truck. I noticed Rose getting out of the backseat of the same truck.

"Hey, girl!" She greeted me, pulling me in for a hug. When she stepped back, I noticed she looked a little tired.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"It's been a long week."

"Are sure you're alright?" I asked.

Rose linked her arm with mine.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Come on, let's get something to drink. I need it."

Author's Note: Sorry, I know this is really short but I wanted to update this for you guys. It's been a really busy couple of weeks between college and school. I hope you like the lighter side of Brennedy.