Chapter Twenty Two - [The Hospital.]

I didn't remember much of the next hour of so.

It went by in a haze of panic, and Brantley's dad and Rose were the only ones that actually seemed calm and collected. Emmett ushered us out of the stands rather quickly, and had to stop Charlotte from climbing over the fence as the EMT's put Brantley in the back of the ambulance.

She was much too panicked to ride with him, so Emmett had Rose ride with Brantley instead. We got into the SUV and sped in the direction of Kindred Hospital. How did he know where to go? I found myself disconnected, there but not really there.

I could hear the sirens on the ambulance, too loud and shrill. It was all that I could hear, as if I was standing right next to it.

This couldn't be happening.

Just as we pulled up to the hospital, the full realizations of the thoughts the moments after Brantley's fall hit me. I loved him. I had already knew that, though it had been tucked in the back of my mind until this moment forced it to come out. And something more; I was falling in love with him. It had come fast and hard, but I knew it with out a doubt in my mind. The thought scared the absolute Hell out of me.

I shook my head as I pulled my seatbelt off. Brantley was in the hospital, and I was thinking about my feelings. I felt selfish. I walked into the hospital behind Emmett, who had his arm slung gently around Charlotte's shoulder as he consoled her quietly.

Rose put her arm through mind, and I was grateful for that small comfort.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

I shook my head, afraid what would out come if I spoke. She reached up and wiped a few tears from my face. I hadn't even realized I was crying, but my eyes were already puffy and I was sure that my face was as red as it could be.

"He's going to be alright, Kennedy."

"I hope so," I whispered.

Emmett figured out which way to go to get to the ER waiting room, and led us through the halls that were too bright and too sterilized. I just stepped foot in this place, and I already couldn't wait to be out.

We sat down as Emmett went up to the desk to ask what was going on. Brantley in the ambulance had arrived ten to fifteen minutes before us, so the nurse promised Emmett that the doctor would be with us as soon as he could to tell us about Brantley's condition.

"I need...Some fresh air," I muttered to Rose. I protested her offer to come with me, needing a moment to get myself together. I exited the sliding glass doors and into the cool, dark night.

I leaned against the cold brick, taking in a few deep breaths. I felt sick to my stomach, pretty sure that I was going to throw up. Just when everything was going so well...This happened. I put my hands on my knees, bending over. I sat down on the cement, resting my chin on my knees.

"Kennedy?"

I heard Emmett's voice from next to me and stood up. Brantley's father looked at me, his hands tucked into his pockets and his black Stetson on his head. Brantley was the spitting image of his father twenty years earlier.

"The doctor is coming out in a few minutes," Emmett said.

He wasn't stiff, exactly, just a little bit awkward. Him and I had never had a one on one conversation. I offered him the best smile that I could manage, which was minimal.

"Thank you."

"My son really likes you, you know," He said, his smile the same as Brantley's. My heart swelled a little bit.