CHAPTER 8

"Please, sit down."

I enter a small, barren room illuminated by a single lamp in the center. A greasy haired man sits across from an empty seat, beckoning me to take it.

The man puts his hands together slowly, interlocking his fingers.

"Let's discuss your... attempt at insurgency."

I stare blankly. "Insurgency?"

He chuckles. "Boy, the sooner you start telling the truth, the better. We have cameras. We know you wished to rally the boys into seizure of the facility... Or at least something along those lines."

"I was asked to by a friend."

An eyebrow raises. "Asked?"

I nod quickly. "Yes. I could have chosen not to, but I couldn't bring myself to disappoint my friend. When I first reached this loft, I had no intention of misconduct whatsoever."

"Funny," he says with a sneer. "Because your family has a history of 'misconduct' towards their superiors."

"My father...? My brother Paul?"

He chuckles again, slowly. "Indeed. And if you're not careful, you could end up just like them."

He states the final three words with emphasis and stiff speech. I begin to stand, glaring at the man.

"Ah ah ah... sit back down. Acting impulsively will only bring you sorrow."

I sit back down.

"Or, of course, death... But let's not discuss that right now."

I lean forward and grit my teeth. "I'm going to try really hard not to do anything stupid, but know this - I'm not going to forget this."

"I'm counting on it." He replies, smiling as if he's heard a joke. "We aren't either."

It's only now that I notice, behind him, a glass window. It's tinted, but there's clearly someone behind it.

And that someone is Astrid Greene.

* * *
"Walk with me."

As soon as I exit the Administration Building, the President wants to talk with me.

I probably can't say no, so I follow.

"Listen... you're the kind of person we're looking for in our system. You could most definitely consider yourself a candidate to work in the government loft one day."

We loop around the mess hall as I reply.

"I dunno, it's probably not for me."

She smiles warmly. "You'd be surprised... A lot of the recruits end up there after their service."

"And you think I could...?"

"As long as you survive."

She laughs and I do too, but I have to force it. She may think it's funny, but I don't.

"But all that aside, I'll be keeping a close eye on you. You've already proven that you want to lead - you just have to show us you can. And it wouldn't hurt if you led people in the right direction next time."

"Of course Madame President."

Her eyes catch mine as she prepares to depart. They're grey.

"I'm counting on it, Aero. I don't want to see you end up like those before you. They could've just as easily found themselves working for me."

Her eyes are grey, and they're full of hate and anger.

Never in a million year would I want to work for that witch.

But I don't think she was giving me a choice.