twelve

Lydia doesn't take her eyes off the road once. She clutches the steering wheel so hard her knuckles turn white.

I don't question what is happening. I know it is risky to talk to Lydia while she's in banshee mode. But I know from the turns we're taking that we are on our way to the high school. Where Scott, Stiles, Malia, and Kira are. Where someone is supposedly dying.

The sound of sirens echoes in the distance. Something is definitely wrong. Crap. This has to involve my brother and his friends. I just hope they're not hurt.

We pull into the parking lot and I gasp. There are plastic tents surrounding the school, police everywhere. People running around in strangle yellow suits. It's absolute chaos. Lydia and I jump out of the car and jog up to the scene.

"Sheriff!" Lydia calls, spotting Stiles' dad. He turns to attention and starts clearing away the crowd.

An officer grabs Lydia by the shoulders as she tries to push through. "Hey, hey I know this girl! Let her through!" The Sheriff protests. Lydia and I jog over to him.

"My mom's in there, what's happening?" Lydia asks in a low voice. Stiles's dad looks concerned.

"We're working on it." He mumbles, looking around. Lydia's face falls.

My heart starts to race as I study my surroundings. This almost looks like... A quarantine. They've quarantined the school.

Lydia notices the same time I do, and we share a very scared glance. What is happening?

My phone suddenly buzzes in my pocket. I frantically grab it and check the number. It's Liam.

"Hello?" I squeak into the phone. I am met with a relieved sigh from Liam.

"Jessica! Are you okay?" He questions, sounding concerned. He must know about the school.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's Scott, and Stiles and them they're in the school." I choke out, my eyes pricking with tears. I hear Liam breathing on the other end. He's hesitant to respond.

"Okay. I'm coming."

"No!" I say. "Just stay,"

"Jessica." Liam says softly. I sigh and rub my forehead. If this whole situation has anything to do with werewolves, Liam coming might be dangerous.

Instead of replying, I hang up. Let him decide what he wants to do. Lydia looks at me questioningly then turns her attention back to the chaos.

I wonder where Scott is. If he's okay. But he has to be okay. He's Scott. He makes it through everything. He's an alpha.

I gnaw on my nails nervously. A habit I've picked up over the years. But usually I keep out of all this, so I usually have nothing to worry about. But this year is different. This year I'm involved and this year is dangerous.

Lydia rolls back and forth on her feet next to me. Thankfully, she will be able to tell when someone dies. Which means Scott or anyone else hasn't died yet. Relieving.

I wonder if they finished the test. I know how important it was to Scott. He really wants to get into a good college. And this year he's really stepped it up. I'm proud of him.

"Jessica," A voice says assertively. I turn my attention to the Sheriff. He looks concerned. "You should go home. I can get someone to drive you."

"No!" I shake my head. "Scott's in there!"

He sighs and looks wearily back at the school. He walks towards me. "So is Stiles. But if we've learned anything from the past four years, it's that Scott and Stiles can get through anything."