•7•

Life and death is such a peculiar thing. First of all, they sound so good in a sentence together, don't they? Yet, they are completely opposite. One is filled with memories, knowledge, and creation while the other is filled with the unknown. The weird thing is, you don't know which concept I was specifically talking about for each category.

Another thing is the line is so thin. Crossing over it is just too easy and the opportunity seems as though it is bursting down your door wether you like it or not. And on both sides the grass is not fully green, concepts don't know how to take care of their lawn very well.

Here's the thing, life isn't worth living for, unless you have something worth dying for.

So here Steve sat, his knees on the hard pavement that seemed to grow colder and harder. Soon an ambulance arrived and so did police but Steve still stayed there. He watched Charlotte be taken away and he felt alone once again. Steve stood up once the authoritys left. He started to walk to the apartment. Steve couldn't call it home anymore.

When he got there he just stared at the door for awhile trying his best to go in. Steve remembered the first time he stood there, looking at the green door. Back then, he wasn't expecting a girl to change him just ever so slightly. But now, he stared at the green door, knowing exactly what was behind, nothing.

So he backed away and sat on the steps. He sat there till the sun rose the next morning, he sat there until he heard the upstairs neighbors.

"Did you hear about the girl down stairs?" And older women as she exited her apartment with a man.

"No, what happened?" He asked. There was absolutely no concern in his tone. But Steve sat their listening as they descended down the stairs.

"She was murdered last night," the women shortly replied. The got closer to Steve as they walked down.

"Hm," the man said, "Well she was strange, always talking to herself."

They were at Charlotte's door now and briefly looked at it. They felt no remorse whatsoever. Steve stood up for this and started to yell at the pair. "You don't know Charlotte! She was amazing and died saving someone! She-"

Steve stopped, it was no use. They couldn't hear him, they just went about their day. Steve slumped right back down on the stairs again. He leaned up against the rail for support. Soon after, another pair came. A women was crying as the man was tying to comfort and hold it together. They walked up the stairs, walking past Steve who watched carefully, as the pair stood at the green door.

The women reached down into her pocket and grabbed a single flower at placed it at her doorstep. The women held her breath for a moment of silence but once it was done she let it out. Her cries could be heard at least a mile away. "Jules," the man said, trying to calm her down. But the women stumbled to the railing and held on to it.

"She's gone, Danny!" Jules screeched. She gasped for air trying to regain her composition. "She was just a kid, too. She was a living and breathing human who had her own life ahead of her and some prick took it away."

Jules couldn't stand anymore. She slowly sat down on the other side of the stair then Steve and Danny sat between the two. "I know you are sad but listen to me, okay?" Jules nodded. "Charlotte is gone. We will never call her up on a Monday morning and she won't be able to brighten our day."

"Is this suppose to make me feel better?" Jules asked, smiling just a little.

"I'll get there," Danny said, rubbing Jules' back. "I've lost many people and they way I see it, they aren't gone. Not completely. A person dies twice, once physically and another when their name is said for the last time. So, you are the one that has to keep her alive."