Pilot

*Re-Edited*

I hid behind a large tree so it wouldn't see me. I peaked around the tree and saw the large buck I was tracking grazing. It hadn't seen me or heard me yet so I got my bow and arrow ready.

I turned around again to make sure it hadn't moved yet. As I was watching the buck, I looked up a little higher into the trees behind it and saw another member of my clan. Instead of a bow, like me, he had an axe. I knew automatically who this man was. It was Lincoln.

He aimed his axe at the large buck, but by the time he was about throw it, I had already fired my arrow. It hadn't hit the buck, just the tree behind it. It ran away. Lincoln jumped down from the tree and we met each other halfway.

"Why are you here? I thought I made it clear I was the only one hunting in this area." I said in an irritated tone.

When it came to hunting, I liked doing it alone.

Lincoln had a small smile on his face as he looked at me. Lincoln and I had known each other my whole life, but hadn't been friends until just a few years ago. He knew I couldn't really be mad at him. He took a few steps closer to me as he said,

"I know. I didn't think you would notice. You saw me before I saw you."

I laughed lightly. At least he tried.

"Come on," I said, "We need to head back. That was the first large animal I've seen since I started out. Maybe the other hunters were successful."

I turned and started walking in the direction our clan was. It was about five miles from where Lincoln and I were at. We walked in silence for a while. That was one thing I liked about Lincoln. He didn't talk too much and neither did I.

As we were walking, I heard a deep, rumbling sound. It came from above. I knew Lincoln heard it too because he grabbed my arm to stop me from walking any further.

We both looked up and saw a strange, star-like object falling from the sky with smoke and fire trailing behind it. It landed about 40-50 miles away from us.

Lincoln and I looked at each other, then sprinted in the direction of our clan. We were only about a mile away from it by then.

By the time we reached our clan, we were out of breath and felt great fatigue. We looked around and saw that everyone was talking about the strange object that fell from the sky. None of us had ever seen anything like it before, so most were in a panicked state.

Anya, one of our leaders, had instructed a few of our best warriors to head out to see what it was and if it would be a threat to our people, the Tree People. The warriors gathered some weapons and quickly left.

I was worried. I knew a very small village was located where that object had landed. I hope nothing had happened to the people who lived there. They were of the Tree People too, like us. I wanted to leave with the warriors. I was a warrior myself, after all.

I knew Anya wouldn't let me, though.

Anya was like an older sister to me. Our parents were good friends. She knew me since I was just a baby, like Lincoln. So when my parents were killed by Mountain Men when I was seven, she took me in and raised me to be a good warrior and hunter. To be brave and fearless, like her. The end result was me. Joyla.

I had to at least try.

I walked in the direction of Anya. She was talking to her second, Lexa. Anya was some sort of mentor for her. She was training Lexa for leadership.

When Anya saw me walking towards her, she had a look on her face as if she already knew what I was going to ask. I guess she did because when I was right in front of her, she said "No."

"Why not?" I asked. "I'm a warrior, too."

"You're not going." Anya stated.
"We have no idea what it is."

I sighed and looked at the ground as she proceeded to lecture me about how dangerous this object could be and how it was a long distance away and she didn't want me to go because she needed me here. By this point I completely zoned out.

"Are you even listening to me?" Anya asked.

I snapped out of my daze and nodded my head. Anya turned around and walked away with Lexa at her heels.

Anya should know me better. I'm a stubborn person.

I was going to be twenty in a few months. I didn't need Anya's permission for everything, including this. So I made the decision to leave in the night, after the warriors got back.

------------------------------------------------------

By the time the warriors returned, the sun was setting. Everyone gathered around them shouting out questions. Anya approached them and requested that they followed her into a small hut that was used for important meetings.

When they entered it, I walked slowly and quietly towards it, like I did when I was hunting. When I finally reached it, I heard only a few words. They were speaking quietly. I heard the words map, at least a hundred, village destroyed, young, and Sky People.

They were people? Sky People? How was that even possible?

I knew I had to go then. My curiosity got the better of me. I walked away from them and went home.

------------------------------------------------------

I left my clan late into the night. I heard soft thunder in the distance. It was going to rain soon. I jogged at a comfortable speed until I reached the place the object had landed. Before I could get too close, I climbed a tree so I wouldn't be seen. The warriors were right. They were people.

Two appeared to be having a heated discussion while the others gathered around them. One was tall, with brown skin. The other was slightly shorter with tanned skin. I must have missed a majority of their discussion because it seemed to be ending.

"What ever the hell we want!" They all chanted. Just then a loud crack of thunder interrupted and rain started pouring down. They all appeared to be happy about it. Perhaps they haven't found water yet. A lake was just a few miles away if they bothered looking.

I turned my attention back to the young man with tanned skin. He wasn't easy to see because of the height of the tree I was in and the pouring rain. He watched as the young man with brown skin walked away.

'Probably to collect the rain.' I thought.

They were definitely interesting and I found it hard to walk away. They dressed differently than the Tree People and other clans. They reacted to certain things very differently than us. Most appeared to have no scars either.

Having scars meant you were a warrior. I had plenty on my arms. This only made me assume they weren't warriors.

We had nothing to fear from these Sky People. They couldn't even find water. Rain water won't last long, and neither would they. I dropped down from the Tree and made my way home.

AN: Small things in this story will be slightly different than the show. Fair warning...