thirteen

jasmine:
"As much as I want to stay, I should head home... I sort of just left home to see you without even saying anything to my parents." Jake says.

"It's only been like 5 minutes." I laugh.

"Sorry babe. I'll text you." he says as he walks away. He blows me a kiss and I just laugh at him and pretend to catch it.

"You're an idiot." I say.

"But I'm yours!" he says back and he leaves.

When he said that, my thoughts immediately land on Chris. I've always called and claimed him as 'my idiot' and it kind of feels weird having someone else instead of him... I remember the first time I called him that.

It was still the beginning of our relationship. Everything was new for us. For me, literally everything was new. For him, I think it was just the commitment. I guess old habits really do die hard.

At a viewing for one of Nia's family members... Nia was all mad because Crawford showed up with some other girl.

"What idiot invited them anyways?" she exclaimed.

"My idiot..." I replied in a bit of embarrassment.

I snap back into reality as Crawford comes out the front door.

"Hey did Chris come?"

"Oh that was Jake... I guess Chris isn't gonna show."

"Really? Well I'm gonna head home. I'll ask him about it." he walks over to embrace me in a hug. "Bye Jas."

"Bye Crawf... can you just let me know if he's okay?" I ask. He nods and leaves my house.

As I walk back in through the front door, my phone vibrates. Jake didn't leave that long ago and he's already texting. A smile appears on my face at the thought.

I check the message and the smile immediately fades.

new message from: mine

is that why you wanted to invite me? so I could see that you've moved on already? did you just want me to see the image of you being with someone else? screw you Jas.

So he did come.

I felt bad but I also felt more mad.

Why did he care? It's not like it matters to him. He's moved on too. He moved on behind my back.

My anger grew and I decided I should text him back too.

new message to: mine

Screw me? You did. You also screwed someone else behind my back, and now you're getting mad because I'm finally happy again? I wasted hours crying over you, and I'm glad that I didn't spend any more time. To be honest, I didn't mean for you to see that. I invited you so I can talk to you and give you a chance to explain yourself more. But I'm glad you did see what you saw. Did it hurt? Did your heart break and did you run away? Do you know how it all feels now?

After I sent the message, I felt heavy weight lift off my shoulders. I sigh and walk into the living room.

"What's up?" Nia says, reminding me that she's there.

"I, uh..." I just throw my phone to her so she could read the messages that just happened.

"Whoah is this Chris?" she shouts as I go to the kitchen to get two water bottles.

I walk back into where she was and toss her one.

"Yeah apparently he saw me and Jake kissing when he arrived at the house. I probably didn't notice him because I sort of had my mind somewhere else..." she just nods and continues to read my messages.

"Damn Jas. You were a little harsh, don't ya think?.."

"I was just mad! Those words were what came to my mind, so that's what I sent to him..."

"You should really change his name..." she giggles.

She ends up tapping my phone and doing things.

When she hands my phone back, I find that she changed Chris's name to 'Just an Idiot' and I laugh.

"So what're you gonna do?"

"I'll just avoid him."

"Forever?"

"And always." I finish.

I've been avoiding him anyways.

That's how things are now. That's how they will be.

Right then, my phone vibrates again. I groan and don't even bother to check the message. I throw my phone on the coffee table in front of the couch me and Nia sat on.

This is it. No more Chris.