Chapter 10

Previously.

"Hi!"

Naomi's eyes widen and she smiles, "Oh my God, Bella!" Naomi says, hugging her, "How are you?!"

"I'm great!" Bella says as they come apart.

"Are you still working at the club?" Naomi asks.

"Yup. I'm stripping my student loans away." Bella says with a laugh, "So, how are things with you and your husband? Chris, right?"

"Yeah. He actually just got back from touring with his band. Things are going really great for us. I couldn't be happier."

"That's so great. Since you guys have been on and off for so long, it must be so great to just be...on."

"Yeah, definitely."

"It's funny though...Your friend, Josh, said he had no idea you and Chris had been on and off for so long."

Naomi blinks, "What?"

"Your friends, Josh and Ryan Ashley at the oddities shop. They said they had no idea you and Chris had anything going on before the marriage. Weird, huh?"

Naomi felt sick to her stomach.

"Yeah...Weird..." Naomi says.

x

Naomi walks into the house, "We're in trouble."

"Yeah, we are." Chris says, "I saw the guys today and Balz - "

"Said he had no idea we were on and off before we got married?"

"How'd you know?"

"A girl I used to work with at the club showed up at one of my classes. She apparently is now one of Tony's little spies." Naomi says, "Long story short, she went to the oddities shop in Kingston, talked to Balz and Ryan Ashley and they told her they had no idea we were ever together before the marriage."

"I saw the guys today and Balz told me a friend of yours showed up at the shop and started talking about how you and I were on and off for three or four years."

"So what did you tell them?"

"I told them it was true! What else could I have told them?!"

"How did they react?"

"Kinda like they'd been lied to...I just kinda told them that at first, you and I were just, like, friends with benefits and that we wanted to keep it private. That sort of helped."

Naomi pulls her hair, "God, this is bad." She says, going up to the bedroom.

"Maybe not!" Chris says, following her, "I'm almost sure we got away with this."

"Yeah, almost sure!"

"Okay, then let's take action! Let's take Tony down and get him thrown into prison!"

"We can't! Not now! Not now that he's suspicious of us again and we don't know which police officers he's friends with!"

"So then what? We just wait it out like we've been doing for months?!"

"Yes! If we act like nothing is wrong, nothing will be wrong." Naomi says, "Oh, God...but what if he's always suspicious? What if he does figure out this marriage is fake? What if - "

"Ssshhhh..." Chris says, hugging her, "Relax."

"How?"

"Just take a few breaths."