Chapter 1

The pages of the paperback in my hands were worn with age and the abuse of being stuffed inside my briefcase on a regular basis as I dashed to and from work, the coffee shop, the courthouse, and various other places in a never-ending rush. It was just passed five o'clock on a Tuesday night and I was lying across the midsection of my cappuccino colored couch, reading a romance novel. This was my usual post-work activity. Most evenings I could be found relaxing in bed or on the sectional with a book in my hands and a glass of wine.

Okay. Fine. Sometimes it was chocolate milk. We all have our weaknesses.

This was my favorite way to wind down after a long day.

I turned the partially wrinkled page as the loud click of a sliding deadbolt signaled my fiancé, Derek, unlocking my front door. I listened to the creak of the door opening and the sound of his all-too-familiar shiny black shoes on the freshly waxed wood floors as he made his way down the hallway toward me.

"Hey babe," I heard from the archway behind me.

Derek smiled as he leaned over the couch to kiss me. A simple, sweet peck on the lips, though it sent an exceptionally delicious warmth through my veins.

"Hey," I smiled back, putting my bookmark between the pages and closing my current read. "How was work?"

Derek walked around the couch and plopped down next to me with a thud, followed by a heavy yawn that went hand-in-hand with the dark circles that had been under his eyes a lot lately.

"So you're the reason the couch squeaks," I teased, pointing a finger at him.

"I'm not the only reason," he smirked, referring to our many sex-capades on that particular piece of furniture. "But to answer your question, work was productive. I finally got McCarthy on board as our client."

"That's fantastic!" I grinned, planting a big, sloppy kiss on his cheek.

Derek had been trying to convince McCarthy Investments to use the law firm he was a partner at as their new representation. After five frustrating months, his efforts had finally been successful.

"Yeah but we got a new guy that thinks he knows everything and won't work with me. He's kind of a jackass," Derek snorted.

"There's one in every crowd," I shrugged, sipping my wine. "Am I gonna meet this jackass tonight?"

We were going to attend a business dinner party that Derek's boss, AKA his dad, was throwing to celebrate their firm's recent achievements. Hampton, Burns and Hampton was one of the most prominent law firms in the Chicago area and Derek was at least half of the reason they were so successful.

The firm was started by his father and three of his colleagues twenty-two years ago. When Derek graduated from Harvard Law School at the top of his class, he turned down numerous offers from major firms all over the country, having known he had a guaranteed job waiting for him at Hampton. It took less than eight months before his father made him a partner, ignoring every voice that suggested Derek might be too inexperienced.

I don't think I've ever seen Derek so excited about anything, except maybe the day he proposed to me.

"Unfortunately, I'm sure you will," Derek groaned, rolling his eyes. "We need to leave in about thirty minutes."

I looked at the clock. 5:16. I was looking forward to going to the party. It'd been awhile since I'd been to a formal event and I really enjoyed dressing up for these things. Derek, however, hated them. He didn't understand the point in attending events with your coworkers when you saw them every day already. I, of course, disagreed.