Chapter 7

I finished my notes around five o'clock and decided to send a mass email to all my clients I was supposed to have seen today. I typed a brief explanation for my absence, apologizing for having to reschedule, and telling everyone that an unexpected issue had come up that morning. I didn't like admitting I'd screwed up, or addressing it with the people I'd stood up, but it was the professional thing to do. I received two replies, thanking me for my explanation and saying they didn't mind and looked forward to our rescheduled meeting.

I concluded my work, considering it a fairly productive day, though I'd only worked about three hours. I watched the clock impatiently, anxiously awaiting eight. I planned on leaving around seven-thirty, knowing that would give me just enough time with the traffic to arrive about five minutes early.

I closed my laptop and I headed upstairs to my bedroom to search for something to wear. The restaurant Nick had chosen was an upscale place. I certainly didn't intend to show up in jeans and a shirt but I knew Derek would be extra suspicious if I left the house in a dress. I didn't necessarily want to wear a pantsuit either, thinking it didn't jive with having dinner with a hot guy. It was too business-y. However, I rarely met clients for dinner, and when I did, I always wore a pantsuit. Derek knew that.

I decided to wear a classic black dress with a suit jacket over it, knowing it fit the professional appearance but also the dressier, fancier look. The dress I picked came to my mid-thigh and had a lacy flower design at the top. It was strapless and looked incredible. I paired it with red heels and a black blazer.

By the time Derek arrived around six-thirty I'd already taken a shower, which had been beyond relaxing. I was so glad to be able to shave my legs and use my own shampoo since I didn't get to that morning at Nick's. I was lounging on the couch, watching the local news when Derek walked through the front door.

"How was the meeting?" I called over my shoulder, not looking away from the TV.

Derek entered the living room, flopping down next to me and loosening his tie. "Fine."

"Just fine?" I frowned. "What happened? You look irritated."

"I am."

"Why?"

"You know that guy Nick you met at the party last night?" Derek asked, making a disgusted face.

A nervous pang shot through my stomach at the mention of Nick's name. "Yeah."

"The asshole kept wanting to talk finance and I kept telling him it wasn't his business and then dad got pissed and called us in the hall," Derek explained.

I remembered Nick saying he was about to go into a meeting when we'd talked earlier.

"How's it not his business?" I asked. "Doesn't he-"

"Because it's not!" Derek snapped.

"Alright. I'm sorry." I scooted away from him. He didn't have to be such an asshole about it.

"I'm sorry." He shook his head. "I'm just really fucking pissed. I don't like this guy. I don't want him working there and I should be able to fire him but I can't because my dad fucking likes the piece of shit!"

"Maybe he's not really such a bad guy," I said, trying to casually defend him. "Maybe you should try getting to know him and see if you can work things out. He can't be that bad."

Derek looked at me incredulously. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you like this guy."

I quickly shook my head. "No. I just think there's a way to work it out where you guys can do business together without fighting all the time. You don't know. He might actually have some good ideas."