Chapter 14

Nick's expert hands slid down my sides, resting at my hips. My eyelids fluttered shut as he softly massaged my skin in circles with his fingertips. His mouth continued its seductive assault on my neck as I leaned my forehead against his shoulder.

"I wasn't expecting you to answer the door in a towel," Nick mumbled against my neck, his teeth grazing over my skin.

"I wasn't expecting you to show up ten minutes early."

"I'm full of surprises," he chuckled.

I opened my eyes to see the gorgeous man I lusted over only a few inches from me. Though I stood in the middle of my living room naked with a man I'd known less than a week, I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I felt safe with Nick and that made me trust him more. I was still hesitant to trust Nick entirely, but I couldn't deny that my feelings for him were growing stronger.

"Nick," I sighed, already regretting what I was about to say. "Derek and I talked about the whole... cheating thing."

Concern shadowed his face and he removed his hands from my body. His lips parted and I thought he was going to say something but no words came. He took a step back.

"I didn't want to talk about it," I decided to explain. "He confronted me when I got home this morning. He'd followed me to the restaurant last night and seen us together."

Nick closed his eyes, gripping the edge of a couch cushion until his knuckles turned white.

"Nick?" I asked hesitantly, worried he was going to start yelling at me the way Derek had.

He blinked a few times. "Yeah."

"I know you're probably pissed at me too, but-"

"I'm not," he sighed. "It's my fault you got into this bullshit in the first place. If Derek's got a beef, he should pick his fight with me, not you."

I was relieved that Nick wasn't pointing all the fingers at me but I didn't want him and Derek fighting. "For both our sakes, I hope he doesn't," I said, picking up the towel from the floor and covering myself once more.

"What are you worried about?" Nick snorted a laugh. "It's not like he'd win the fight."

I groaned at the thought. "I don't want you two fighting, period."

I turned away to head upstairs. He followed right behind me as I went back to the bathroom. His eyes stayed glued to my body as I dropped the towel again, kicking it aside and sliding on my panties.

"It's a shame you're putting those on." He stared at my white lacy underwear. "I'll gladly take them off for you later, if you'd like."

As much as I adored the idea of Nick removing my panties, I needed to focus. I still needed to get ahold of that file in his home office. That had to be my main priority. I could indulge in sensual behavior afterward.

I shook my head, rolling my eyes at him as I put on a dark blue short-sleeved shirt and jeans.

"Nick." I haphazardly brushed my wet hair into a messy bun. "Can we do something besides sex?"

Nick looked confused but nodded. "What do you have in mind?"

I shrugged. "Believe it or not, I'd actually like to get to know you more."

"Okay. Do you want to go somewhere or...?"

"We could," I said. "Or I can make dinner."

Nick smiled at the mention of food. "Dinner sounds great."

We made our way back downstairs to the kitchen where I started picking through items in the freezer to see what I could throw together.

"What do you like?" I asked, shivering at the cold air leaving blasting my bare arms.