Chapter 19

I stared at the paper in my hands for such a long time that my vision started to blur. There it was in black and white. My name. Carrie Donovan. I was listed as a suspect in connection with Derek's embezzlement. I was shocked. No. That doesn't even begin to describe my emotions. I felt like my heart had plummeted to my stomach, and my stomach felt like it was going to fall through my ass. How the hell did the FBI think I was involved in this?

I sat down at Nick's desk feeling my blood pressure reach a new high. I started to wonder if Nick had only courted me because I'm a suspect. Maybe he thought if he got close to me I'd tell him incriminating information. Maybe he was just using me to solve his case.

I was glad I'd driven myself to Nick's house. I needed to get out. I couldn't stand to spend the night.

I started questioning whether or not I could trust him. I was pissed that he hadn't told me I was being investigated. Why did I have to find out this way? Didn't he know that you can't hide anything from a woman because she'll always find out? I wanted to march into the living room, wake him up, and demand some answers. But I knew if I did that, it would only make things worse. I decided instead to leave.

I quickly placed the folder back in the drawer, sneaking back into the hallway and locking the door like I'd found it. Luckily, I remembered which key was the right one this time. I retrieved my clothes from the kitchen floor, yanking my pants on in a rush and wadding the rest of my clothing into a ball. I didn't want to waste time changing out of the sweatshirt I was wearing. I sneaked back up the stairs, placing Nick's keys back in the nightstand drawer, and tiptoed through the house to leave. I cringed when the front door squeaked, freezing in place until I was sure the noise hadn't disturbed him. I slipped out the door and ran to my Honda as fast as I could.

Even though it was the middle of the night and Monica was going to kill me for interrupting her beauty sleep, I dialed her number as I peeled out of the driveway. My heart was pounding like I'd just run from a bank robbery.

"I hope you have a real good reason for interrupting the dream I was having," Monica said sleepily. "I was in a cabin in a heart shaped bed with Leonardo DiCaprio and there were roses and-"

"Monica, I need to talk to you. Now. It's really important."

"What happened?" her voice transformed from groggy to wide awake almost instantly. "What's wrong?"

"I just left Nick's house," I said, trying to hold back the tears threatening to spill.

"Did he do something? Did he hurt you? I swear I'll-"

"I'll explain everything when I get there. I'm heading to your house right now. I can't go back to mine because I know that'll be the first place Nick looks for me when he realizes I left."

"Jesus Christ," Monica gasped. "I'll unlock the door. Just come right in when you get here. I'll make some coffee."

I almost didn't want to hang up. I felt compelled to look in my backseat and make sure no one was there. I kept glancing in my rear view mirror expecting Nick's Audi to be tailgating me. A few heart palpitations later, I turned onto Monica's street. It had become really cloudy. The sky was going to break with raindrops any minute. I pulled into the driveway, gathering my things and jogging to the door.

"Monica," I said, stepping inside.

"In the kitchen!"

I locked the door behind me, walking to the kitchen where I found her sitting at the bay window that was my favorite part of her house.

"Hey," she said sympathetically. She eyed me like I was going to fall apart any second.

I grabbed a mug from the cupboard and poured some coffee. My hands were shaking. I couldn't believe the FBI was investigating me. I'd never done anything wrong. I hadn't known what Derek was doing and if I had, I wouldn't have wanted to be a part of it. It sickened me to think Nick was only spending time with me because of this stupid investigation. Did I mean anything to him at all?