Getting Down to Business

Grace's POV

I woke up to sunlight streaming through the blinds in Andrea's room. I turned to the alarm clock and freaked when I saw what time it was. "Shit! It's 8:20!" I exclaimed out loud to myself. I was due at the studio at 9:00 and I didn't want to be late on my first day. Racing into the bathroom, I turned on the shower and brushed my teeth frantically as I waited for the water to get warm. I glanced in the mirror and jumped at the sight of my own appearance- I had total raccoon eyes from my makeup. When I had finished, at the sink, I quickly stripped out of my clothes and took the fastest shower known to man. I dried myself off and ran into my bedroom in my towel, where I found Leah, still fast asleep. I grabbed a pair of high-waisted denim shorts and a light pink shirt, throwing them on before applying a tiny bit of mascara, eyeliner and lip gloss. My wet hair went into a bun, and I slipped into my white flip-flops. I was almost out the door when I realized I should probably leave a note for Leah. I scrawled a message onto a Post-it and left it on the counter, leaving the apartment with my bag slung over my shoulder.

I reached the studio at exactly 8:58, breathing a sigh of relief as I opened the door and went straight back to the writing room, where some of the boys were already settled.

"Hey," I greeted Zayn, Louis and Liam.

"You made it!" Louis exclaimed. "We thought you might forget."

"Haha, I'd never let an opportunity like this slip away, Lou."

"I, for one, knew you'd come," Liam spoke up, coming over to greet me. He pecked my cheek as he embraced me in a hug.

I could feel Louis and Zayn's eyes on us. I wondered if Liam had told the others about us.

"Erm, Liam, is there something you failed to tell us?" There was my answer.

A grin spread across Liam's face as he took my hand and turned to face them. "There is, in fact, but I think it's only right to wait for Niall and Harry." He sat down on the loveseat and patted the seat next to him, so I took a seat.

"Where are they, by the way?" I asked Liam.

"Harry and Niall were so wasted last night, I can only imagine that they're maybe waking up about now with a terrible hangover. "

"That's right," I chuckled. "When I left my apartment, Leah was still out cold. What about Josh?"

"Josh had a doctor's appoinment or something," Zayn spoke for the first time that morning. "He said he might not make it today."

"Alright, then. Should we just start brainstorming until they get here?" I was enthusiastic about getting to work.

"Sounds great, babe," Liam agreed. I had to admit that hearing him call me 'babe' gave me butterflies inside.

"Oooh oooh oooh, I know!" Louis reminded me of an excited schoolboy jumping out of his seat to answer a question.

"Yes Louis?" I guess I was the teacher.

I think we should write about how nobody outside our social circle really knows about us, like our relationships and stuff. It can be difficult for Eleanor and Perrie to be in this madness sometimes."

"Sounds like a great start! Now we just need lyrics, a catchy chorus, and music!" Songwriting brought me a joy that was impossible to explain.

"We could start with the concept that "they don't know about us," they being the fans and everyone else who thinks they know everything about our lives."

"That would be perfect, Zayn! To be honest, I've never really experienced life in the spotlight, so you guys are going to be doing most of the hardcore 'thinking.'"