Chapter 9: Other Lessons

Chapter 9

The bell rang and all the students immediately sprang up their seats and lined up at the door. James looked up just in time to see Harry stand up and go around the desk he had been sitting on.

James stood up from his chair and called, "Harry, stay for a moment."

Harry looked at Ron and the redhead just shrugged at him. James could see Harry shaking a bit and he was starting to become pale, like he was extremely nervous. Of course, he is a professor. Any student would be frightened if he or she were told to stay.

Ron mouthed something to Harry and he went outside, leaving both Potters alone.

"Sit down, Harry." James said as he leaned back on his desk.

Harry gulped and sat down on a nearby chair. "Am... Am I in trouble, professor?"

"What?" James raised his eyebrows. "Why would you be in trouble?"

"I... I just thought... never mind. What's this about then?" Harry asked.

James sighed. "This is about what happened earlier. When I asked you to help me. Are you sure you're alright Harry?"

Harry looked up and gaped at him. Was this guy serious? He held him back here just because of that? Sure what happened to him was beyond normal and was surely something that needed to be checked up on, but it was gone now.

"Harry?" James said as he waved his hand in front of him.

Harry was shaken out of his thoughts and said, "Yeah, uh... I-I'm fine. I'm fine Professor, really. It was just a slight headache. Nothing to worry about."

James eyebrows rose. "A headache? Shouldn't you have that checked at the Hospital Wing?"

"No. No. It's not necessary, I mean, come on, it's just a small headache." Harry said with a small, unsure chuckle.

"Alright..."James said slowly but he kept eyeing him as though he was something awfully suspicious. "If that headache comes back often, you should go to the Hospital Wing, are we clear?"

"Huh?"

Upon seeing Harry's confused look, James sighed. "You see, Harry, we teachers care for our students greatly, believe me, I once saved a child from drowning in the Black Lake."

Harry gave him a look that said "I-don't-believe-you" and James chuckled.

"Believe it or not, it happened. Now, where was I... oh yeah, We care about you so whenever a teacher might tell you do to absurd things without a particular reason, remember that there are always two possibilities. One, he or she is only thinking about your wellbeing or... two, he might just want to mess around with you." James said, chuckling at the last part.

Harry smiled a bit at that. He thought conversations with James Potter would be kind of awkward or tense but if this kind of flow continues, then he wouldn't mind speaking to him sometime in the future. Maybe he would go as far as to ask for some advice.

"Now, I've kept you in here for too long, I'm sure you're really late for your next class." James said, opening his desk drawer and pulling out a piece of paper. He grabbed a quill and dipped it in a nearby ink bottle and started scribbling on it. He was done in just a few seconds and he handed the piece of paper to Harry.

"Give this to your professor for your next subject. It would get you out of trouble for coming in late." James said as he returned to the front of his desk.

Harry's hold on the paper became tighter upon hearing that and James' lip twitched upward when he saw it.

"Well... I'll see you later then. Careful, okay?" he said as Harry started his walk towards the door.