Breaking The Balance - The First Domino

Written in the 3rd Person

The summons came at a weird time of night, four O'clock in the morning was never a safe time to be travelling to the End but there was no denying Ianite. Her followers and family all made their own ways to the End, after a brief visit from Caitlin to ensure that they knew it was of the utmost importance that they attended. They all emerged from the End portals at the same time, appearing at the top of the hill under which Ianite's house resided and made eye contact with one another. Martha, Jordan, Ianita and Caitlin stared at one another in confusion – why were they here? It wasn't that much of a surprise to see them all in the same place – Jordan, Martha and Ianita were always shadowed by Caitlin whenever they ventured outside for walks or visits to their friend's houses. There had been multiple instances where a monster had snuck too close to Ianita for their liking, only for it to be dissolved into writhing shadows a moment later.

"Why are we here?"

Martha and Jordan spoke at the same time, each of them keeping a hand on Ianita's shoulders as if she would vanish if the true purpose of being here was revealed. Ianita glanced around, nibbling on a bit of pie – recognising the location they were in and seeming more excited to be there than the rest of them. Jordan had a dark feeling tugging in his chest, whatever they were here for it wasn't good news. This feeling was confirmed by the dark look on Caitlin's face – she knew why they were there, after all, she had been the one entrusted to send for them. She shook her head slowly at Jordan when he opened his mouth to ask a question and began to lead the way down the hill – taking care to use a route that Ianita could handle on her own.

They clambered down the slope, an unknown urgency fuelling their movements as the sands of an invisible hourglass began to drain away – wasted time ticking by with every step they took forward. Jordan reached the base of the hill first, seeing Ianite standing in the ruins of her once beautiful home. She was staring endlessly into the void that surrounded her island, ignoring the crumbling structure around her and the screeches of the angered Endermen – seemingly in another world of her own. Martha placed Ianita's hand into Jordan's and sprinted across the ruins to wrap her arms her mother, whispering frantically in some form of dialect that Jordan struggled to understand. Ianite's normal aura of pure violet was tinged with a dark grey, a flickering glimmer in contrast to the strong waves of light she used to give out.

Ianita's form began to shake, tears filling her big eyes as she caught on faster than Jordan to what was happening. She hugged Jordan's leg tightly, her little body heaving and shaking violently as she began to sob – muttering the word 'Mam' over and over again like a mantra. Martha grabbed Ianite's shoulders, trying to get some form of response from her but nothing seemed to be working. Pleading, crying, screaming and shouting all received the same response – silence. Ianite didn't even blink when Martha slapped her across the face in the last ditch attempt to snap her out of this trance like state.

"Mother! Please! Not like this, you promised me it wouldn't be like this! Ianita is so young, there's so much danger that is yet to come, and we need you! I'm not ready to be a goddess yet... Please! Don't leave me... I love you. So much."

When she received no response, Martha stepped backwards – grief and anger on her face, warring for control of her mind as her fists clenched and unclenched in rhythm with the beating of her heart. She gently pulled Ianita off of Jordan's legs and hugged her tightly, crying silently as she attempted to calm Ianita, her face hidden in the crook of the little girl's shoulder so Ianita wouldn't know anything was wrong. Jordan stepped forwards, the gravity of the situation weighing heavily on his shoulders – his lady was dying, and this would probably be the last time he would see her before yet another piece of his happiness shattered into pieces.