Breaking The Balance - In The Corner Of Your Eye

Written in the 3rd Person

"Why won't you listen to me? I saw something, in the corner of my fortress with floating goggles – just staring at Ianita as we were playing!"

Jordan sighed, running his fingers through his hair in an attempt to calm the irritation and stress that was driving him from place to place. Ianita was safely back at home with Martha, protected by an armada of magical spells and defence mechanisms that made it near impossible to visit if you were carrying anything that could cause harm to the little girl. Tom had tried to visit once on his way back from summoning an Earth Guardian and needless to say Martha had to rescue him before he was incinerated – too badly. Wag had officially taken up the role of full-time protector of Ianita's home, working with Martha in order to create a safe haven for her whilst the rest of the world fell apart.

However, Jordan was experiencing what everyone else in the room called paranoia. Nobody would believe what he was saying, declaring his choices and actions all based upon grief and partial insanity. It was a safe assumption to make based on all the disastrous events that were occurring around Jordan but it was still an incorrect one. Most of Jordan's time was either spent meditating in Ianite's temple or reading in the library about various phrases and people that flashed through his mind. Ianite had convinced him to trust his memories but not much of it made sense, it was hard to distinguish the truth from the lies – some of it seemed so real that it must have happened yet it didn't tie in with the timeline Jordan was creating.

The mysterious invisible person in his fortress was no prank, nobody seemed to know anything about it – they all thought he was going mad. It could be one of two things; either Jordan was going insane and he needed professional help quickly, or he was being watched by someone. He wasn't sure which option was more terrifying. Jordan turned and stormed out of the meeting he had called, ignoring the stares of concern following him and the raised voices attempting to summon him back. He thought since his friends had fallen through the void with him and that they must have experienced the same things he had – even if they didn't remember it just yet, they would trust him and attempt to assist him. Yet he had been proven wrong yet again, they were discussing keeping him away from Ianita until he regained his 'mental ability' instead of helping him find Ianite's murderer!

Grabbing his angel ring out of his pockets, he pulled it onto his finger and leapt into the air – feeling the air currents push the feathers on his wings into the air. Jordan frowned, leaning his body into a streamlined position and feeling his speed pick up with every degree he tilted himself, blowing his hair out of shape and buffeting against his skin – sending pricks of pain scattering across his body. Too soon, the library came into sight and Jordan was forced to slow down, landing roughly on the roof of some poor resident who he heard squeak with surprise at the sudden entrance. He shoved his angel ring back into his pocket and strode towards the library, a scowl on his face that could have stopped the ender dragon in its tracks.

"Uh sir, the library is closed today. There was an attack recently, withers and ender dragons demolished half the city. Mianite paid some contractors to repair various sections such as the plumbing for the farms but nobody has gotten round to repairing the library yet."

Jordan looked at the librarian for a moment, taking in the defeated body language and a despairing expression on his face. The lines on his face seemed etched into his skin and his eyes were haggard, loss of all the light of enjoyment running the library used to bring him. Jordan opened his eyes properly, lifting his head to see the smoking remains of the library – the sharp smell of burnt wood and paper causing his nose to wrinkle. The wood was scorched, pitch black marks tinging the once flawless architecture – cracks in the wood and shattered glass adorning the walls. Books lay scattered across the floor, some pages missing and some burnt beyond recognition, the bookshelves they had once sat on either in pieces or gone entirely. Jordan looked at the library back to the librarian, pulling out a gold block from his inventory and handing it to the man.