04 | The Haze

I'm huddled in the corner of his bedroom. My body rocks back and forth independent of my control. Pain throbs from my arm. My teeth clack together and the shivers ripple through my body. The room spins. I move back and forth through the thick scent of copper in the air.

   Wet sticky gore coats my body because I have become like him. The stickiness of him is everywhere. It sinks down into my soul and grasps at the little bits of the glow inside me.The glow I've managed to protect from him. 

    I draw the basket to my chest, as they try to squirm out. My left-hand clutches the hunting knife tight. I gasp down as much air as I can. The world around me is outlined in a drugged haze.

    Sharp stabs of pain radiates down my arm to my fingertips. The fingers are puffed up like hot dogs. The red cold darkness in him soaks so deep into my skin and bones. I feel his poison move through my veins.

I'm like him.

    Red foam spittle sprays the ground with each of my coughs

    Red foam spittle sprays the ground with each of my coughs. Wet.... my mind dips in and out. The door is kicked open and people crash into the room with my monster and me. 

Both of us monsters.

   The policeman's words don't make sense. His voice clips in and out in like a bad radio. My right eye is stuck closed with blood caked on my lids. The crusted blood dries slow in the cold air. My lips are red with his blood mixed with mine. It drips down from my mouth and nose. I am one big bruise all over my body. 

"Drop it! Drop it!" The police officer says.

   Little heads squirm in the basket and peek out. They growl with menace at the cops. A clear dare to come near them and find out what happens next.

   I stare down the barrel of his gun. Will he shoot me? "Be advised armed naked black female suspect, some type of tribal scarifications, possibly magic use, one body, and possible magical animals," he speaks quick. "Need backup and a female officer for the suspect, 421 Withers St." The officer finishes his report.