12 | Night [Day to Night] Part 2

Great

   Great... Fuck is what you have to say?

   FUck that's the best you can do genius, I berate myself.

   "I don't suppose you're here to borrow a friendly cup of sugar? Perhaps, a star trek marathon, because your tv is broken?" I give The Dragon my best neighborly smile. I try to fake like I have no idea why he's here.

   He lifts his large claw from the ground. He brings his foot down again hard. A second louder wave of car alarms go off. It was like a small scale earthquake.

   "Temper, temper," I say out loud to The Dragon.

Yes, piss The Dragon off more that's really fucking smart Alayke.

What next?

My what big teeth you have, so he can say the better to suck the delicious marrow from your bones?

Wow, morbidly specific... focus, focus.

   I have to admit to myself, if this is it then at least I'm not going out like the junkie pill zombie I use to be in foster care.

Now that's thinking morbid positive. Go team Alayke, congratulating myself.

   I square my shoulders looking into those gold, and green slitted eyes. My chin juts out stubborn. I breath out the thick stale smell of scared in and out of my lungs.

   "You don't have to try to scare me. It's completely not necessary," because I'm already ready and willing to pee myself scary ass dragon.

   "I can offer reparations for disturbing you on your land," I say with a formal cadence one of the few formal statements I know. His large eyes constrict at my words. What do I have to offer him right now, I ask myself? Running through the list quickly in my mind. My flip book of broke doesn't look too good. I try to think faster about what I can give him. The list is anaemically short, as I have next to nothing to my name.

   The ghost of a touch from a small hand on the tips of my fingers startle me. I look down at Aurora's form wondering where she came from. She moves into more focus and becomes increasingly solid by the second. Her hair still in the pigtails I put in this morning. She has on no shoes and never does since the day I pass through her shields. I need to get her shoes at some point.

   I know it's the power in her little body that's kept me safe through the night. It's still hard to come to terms with. I don't understand her power but I know she's powerful. I can feel the wild Magik that glows from her. It's light heat from her skin.

   Her skin's a deep beautiful brown as she steps carefully up beside me. The rainbow lights at time randomly glitter on her brown skin. The wild Magik whirls across in a highlight of color. She looks up into my eyes with her hazel brown eyes and smiles. The smile is just like the first time I met her. It's like she's welcoming me home.

   All magic has a feeling to it, from the dragon in front of me, to Aurora and her mysterious ways. The sweet smile fades from Aurora. Her head quickly swings up to the dragon. A no-nonsense chill crawls into her hazel brown eyes. She watches the dragon like a predator sighting prey. Not a hint of fear.

I wish I could channel half the kick ass on her young face, but shit it's a fucking dragon.

   The dragons comes down and focuses on her. It's as if my insides have little ant crawling on the underside of my skin. He lifts just the side of his large maw. White hungry looking teeth bigger than me are all I see in front of me. I move my body to step in front of Aurora's little frame blocking her from the dragon's eye.

   I dig into my pocket fishing out the little bit of cash. A grand total of twenty dollars, I give it all to the dragon. My hand crosses the shield outside of the barrier quickly placing it on the and I place the cash on gravel road. The small stack of ones and fives adding up to the whole of money I will be able to get my hands on.

   I take a short second to think about it and dig out the slightly crush peanut butter cookies I made in a paper bag. My hands rip the paper bag open and lay it flat on the road next to the money. It's everything I have on me the only money and food I will probably be able to get my hands on for awhile.

   My heart raced as I shove my shaking hand into my now empty pocket. I tuck my cast arm near my body protectively. The dragon might break the shield and eat both of us. His large snout snuffles the money and cookies.

God, I feel so stupid right now.

How's he supposed to take the money dumbass? Pick it up with his huge ass claws?

He's going to eat me for sure.

I'd eat me with BBQ sauce just on principle.

   A careful step back taking Aurora with me. Maybe we can hide somewhere? I take my hand out of my pocket slipping Aurora's little hand into my good one behind my back. Two deep woofs grab my attention as two little puppies come racing for me. There roly poly puppy bodies moving quick.

The cavalry has arrived snack one and snack two. We can begin the main course a perfect meal.

Riverh and Rhain both flank me on either side with stiff postures ready to do battle.

These puppies have a fucking death wish. The terrifyingly cute duo to the rescue.

   The Dragon of Sacramento sniffs the cookies again. The peanut butter cookie crumbs lifts in the air floating weightlessly at his snuffles. They drop down to the ground softly, as his long tongue extends out delicately picking up the peanut butter cookies. He draws them back into his maw.

   His large head sways back and forth. His greedy eyes quickly checking for more cookies. A look of puzzled disappointment crosses the dragons beastly face. He backs away from the shield without another glance. He claws the air with his wings, almost ripping the air currents from the sky pulling him into the air. The brutality in each wing beat, is beautiful but terrifying. When he moves into the sky, he reaches a lazy graceful glide.

   I turn to Aurora, "does this mean we're saved?" Her little girl shoulders shrugs at me like I'm stupid.

   She moves around me to step back into the shield merging with it. It's like a big ass dragon didn't just drop by to possibly eat us. I pick up the money and jam it into my pocket. I'm shaking with pent up unspent run for your life energy. If I stop and think about this too hard I am going to freak myself out and I won't get anything done.

Yes, because almost getting eaten is just inconvenience and not scary as hell. Real nice Alayke.

   The musical notes of car alarms rings through the air. I head home down the dirt and gravel path. I'm a little shocked that I didn't piss myself. I guess no dumpster food dive.

A/N : I'm pretty pump and looking forward to  Thursday. Thank you, for reading! If you got comments about the chapter love to hear from you.