16 | Who's there?

The tingles of the deep magic rolls across my dark skin. Easy smooth breaths do nothing to drown my slight fear. My eyes roam in search of a trap. Little pixies zip around me and lite the night. Hundreds of pixies rush by, grains seed and grass seed falls like magic dust from little arms. Dandelion seeds float in the wind and pixie children gather them.

   The path in front of me is lit with tiny worn out pixies sitting in the bulbs asleep. Small pixie houses dot the landscape, along with tiny spirits and nature sprites. Creatures I don't have names for go about their nightly tasks. Unlike my place this is alive. Alive in a way that the very trees vibrate with life.

   My eyes never stop moving in search for the threat I know has to come. You don't cross into deep magic without a price. The little puppies bunch up together tight against me, they practically sit on top of my feet. Maybe, I should be more scared but my mother practiced Santería. A mix of Yoruba, Native American and Roman Catholic religion, the world was meant to be alive. She believed it was best not to cower before gods and the Old Kingdom people. It was the whisper of my mother's voice that got me to face down a dragon that put me in this mess.

   The green haired pixie mother zips past me. She is trailed like ducklings by nine little pixie children arms full of grass seed. The last of the little pixies is the only one with blue hair trips mid-air. She drops all her tiny seeds. My smile to her couldn't be helped. She is absolutely adorable. The whole pixie family flies back in the direction of my barn.

   Ahead in an empty clearing, an old TV sits on a tough blanket next to four huge rocks. Smoke rises from the fourth rock the largest of the four. The TV flicks through the station to station with a buzz of static.

[Buzz]

Western Papa Johns pizza commercial. The channel changes.

[Buzz]

   "Sacramento News 10 tonight," the sharp tv anchor serious face fills the tv screen. "A spike in the Old Kingdom on Old Kingdom crime can be attributed to a shortage of territory. That spike is another sign of problems with the Old Kingdom community. The Higher birth rate for the Old Kingdom continues to rise and expect crime to as well."

[Buzz]

Be your necromancer mortuary service Old Kingdom only commercial.

[Buzz]

Western Mcdonald's commercial.

[Buzz]

Thank you for being a friend.

Travel down the road and back again.

Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant.

Golden Girls?

And if you threw a party, invited everyone you knew.

You would see the biggest gift would be from me

and the card attached would say,

thank you for being a friend.

That's really the Golden Girls.

   The episode starts. Footsteps thunder from the distance as the episode on the tv plays on. Two figures race towards me though the moonlight. The figures fight a battle against a small smoke army. As a seamless team, they punch slashes and kicks destroy each smoke figure. The two figures don't slow down.

   One of the women is Nita the other still heavily cloaked. The cloaked woman spins and races to the four rocks. Nita is hot on her heels. Wings burst forth from the big rock at the end. The rock ripples and shifts into a man. He stands on the third rock waits and wings out for the two women. He pulls the cowboy hat off his head. Then looks at the sky in a benediction and the dusty wind embraces him playing in his long blonde hair. He launches into the air his bat light wings spread in the moonlight. His power pounds on my brain in a deep whisper dragon, dragon, dragon run.

   He drops down on the women parrying a blow from Nita, and ducks a kick from the woman in a cloak. What kind of freakin lawyer fights like that? Nita blows my mind. She slashes with her sword at the dragon's wings. It limits his movement options and leads him into the faster-moving cloak women's cat like movements. The cloak woman's flexibility and speed has to be supernatural. I can't help but think about the pixie mother with the green gunk all over her wings. It sucked at her power and controlled her movements. I guess anything with wings no matter how big or small depends on its wings for movement. Like we do our legs and arms. It's six things to worry about instead of just our four.

   They never stop moving in the fight as they climb the first rock. Then a smooth jump and the two women make it to the second rock. Nita brings her sword up with one hand on the blade and one on the hilt. She thrust quick. The Dragon adjust uses the cowboy hat like a matador to catch her over commit. He pushes her off the second rock and she hits the ground. He knocks the woman in the cloak off the second rock.

   "Failed," the Dragon says at the top of the rock. His golden-green stare turns to me.

 His golden-green stare turns to me

   Shit.

A/n: Ok, hopefully, you like this update. The Dragon in full surfer cowboy mode scary. Used text the real Golden Girls' theme song above. Oh and the slug war in my garden is almost over.