Autonomy

When Thorne returned to the hanger bay the unit had reassembled.

"You do realise there are recreational areas for us." He spoke calmly almost relaxed, something he'd never done before.

"We fit more comfortably here and were awaiting your return. Is there going to be more spying?" Sarge asked, he'd picked up on the subtle change, he was certain at least one other member had.

"Apparently Renniks doesn't approve of our freedom here. He should be sending someone down to remove all the equipment." Thorne said returning to his usual mannerisms.

"No need." Aasith said from her perch on the tallest stack of crates. Thorne glanced up and she directed he's gaze to an open crate. He moved over to see a pile of scrapped components.

"Ah, I see. I take it you were thorough?"

"visual and electronic sweep of all rooms and corridors. Our domain is clean again" Thoth answered

"Good, we have our first mission. On this data pad" he held up what he'd been given by Tarkin "we have the details of a rebel base. The Empire are planning a standard frontal assault on the compound. Our job is to get in, and download the data core before it gets wiped. Once we have the data we are to find the next target and move on ahead of  Tarkin to perform surgical strikes on the rebel bases. The full details are on here as well."

"I don't trust it" Medb commented

"Me neither" Morrigan added

"I also concur, it's too much, too soon. I believe Renniks has forced his hand. But that is to our advantage, we get to do what we do best and not lounge around waiting for orders. Speaking of which, Sarge I want you to go over the base we have here with me and work out a plan of attack. Thoth, I want you to start working through various older vessels that might used as our transport. Morrigan, Medb, I want you to brush up on star ship weapon systems. Eastre, go to the med centre, take whatever you think we'll need. Aasith, Olwen practice, were going to be going in fast and into an urban combat situation, do what the two off you need, you'll be going on point. All of you, think what you want as personal equipment, well meet back here in two hours. Move out!" with the last of the orders given the unit left leaving Oakham and Thorne alone. The pair looked at each other for a moment, Thorne went over to the equipment and pulled out a holo-projector. Whilst connecting and calling the file up for the base Oakham spoke.

"None of the unit have ever killed a person before."

"I know, I silently pray that it's all aliens at the base." Thorne spoke quietly "Will any falter?

"They will perform there duty, it's their mental health afterwards I am concerned about." Sarge replied mildly aggressive at the insinuation that the unit won't perform is duty.

"Our best strategy in that case then is a zero casualty plan. We need to reach the core with little interference as it is." Thorne depressed a button on the projector and an image rose showing a city scape. A red dot appeared on a building just within the city limits. "let's get to work"

Sarge grunted his agreement and moved over beginning to study the plan. It was only then that he realised he'd never plan an assault before, just followed the orders for one. Thorne seemed to pick up on this, "you'll do fine as an aid, now here's the main compound".

*

The two hours passed quickly and soon they had all regrouped in the hanger bay.

"Here is our destination" Thorne initiated the holo-projector "a large property on the edge off a minor city, there is no doubt that there are outposts and lookout stations we are unaware of. The multiple building complex leads to us having to hedge our bets on the location of the data core, it will most likely be in the main building in one of the lower levels. I aim for zero casualties, using stunning weapons and moving through the complex swiftly. Tarkin expects is to use the main attack as a distraction, I however, do not want that to jeopardise our objective, so we will strike before the fleet arrives and in the cover of night. We will drop out of our transport above the compound using para-glider packs to land in the installation, a set of light wings that also have a small repulsor engine in for directional movement, no matter wind direction. With luck we will land on the roof without incident and make our way down. You're all trained for urban combat, I want you all to right in this pad your equipment request outside of what we have here" he gestured at the crates. "Any questions?"