Tarkin's Offer

Thorne sat on one side of a four sided table looking directly at Grand Moff Tarkin, to his left was Admiral Daala, the female officer in charge of the Fleet at the Maw instillation and to his right was General Odosk the officer in charge of the imperial army for the installation.

                “Major, before you arrived to have dinner with us. I had a brief conversation with the Admiral and General about your unit and their worth to the Empire.” Tarkin began, he had not touched the meal in front of him, they all had the same, something that appeared to be a steak and two coloured puree’s, what Thorne guessed was the vegetable.  Thorne was waiting until he started and so did everyone else.

                “Between the three of us we would politely ask you to join the Empire, to uphold and create stability in our galaxy.” As Tarkin finished he began his meal, Daala, then Odosk took up their implements.

                “I take it the alternative is imprisonment?” Thorne replied

                “Obviously” Tarkin replied, He’d taken the tiniest of mouthfuls for his first bite, and the next was not much better. Thorne took up his implements and dredging all the details he’d learned on etiquette began, feeling this was going to be a long dinner, he ate in the same fashion as Tarkin; small bites.

                “As a military officer you must understand the threat you and your team hold, so as an unknown entity we cannot let you leave the installation without knowledge that you are sworn to the Empire” The oldest man at the table General Odosk spoke, his manner was slightly gruff, from what Thorne believed was from interacting with the troops still. Good, Thorne thought, a general who hides from his army has no value for life.

                “Thank you General, he is right, we cannot let you leave this installation. It’s security and secrecy is paramount. However, Admiral Daala, brought forward an interesting idea that we are all inclined to, we hope you are as well.” Tarkin said looking over to the Admiral. Thorne looked at the body language and the strange stiff posture. He wasn’t one hundred percent sure that the idea was solely Daala’s and the General did not seem to be completely pleased with the concept.

                “In return for your allegiance to the Empire, you and your unit will be trained in the usage of our technologies for the field of battle. You of course will lead your unit and keep your same rank and titles with the benefits they accord. The catch as that is what you’re thinking; would be that you and your unit are ghosts, no attachments outside of the military structure, no bank accounts or ownership of property.” Daala said her speech direct and almost rehearsed Thorne thought

                “We would be property as well” Thorne replied.

                “In a manner of speaking, yes” Daala replied, her voice seeming more in command and her owns when replying.

                “This does sound like a very good offer, and I can read between the lines that we would be completing black operations for you. I will discuss this with my unit before giving a definitive answer.” Thorne replied, he knew the unit would follow his lead; he’d earned their trust enough for that but the statement got a response from them.  A moment of shock from Daala, and a slight smile from Odosk, Tarkin however, stayed completely neutral.

                “That is understandable as you are on your own.” Tarkin replied, there was a brief moment of silence while the four ate and contemplated what was said.

                “As we are not going to be official citizens and used as I have reasoned for the darker operations. I believe there can be some leeway in the method of our employment for your Empire.” Thorne stated and took another bite.