Tryouts and New Friends

^^ The Scribe Mark ^^
(What Maximus chooses as his Mark. Mad Props to the artist, and if they ask me to take it down, I will do so.)
--- Maximus's POV ---

I sat down, fresh from a shower to get all the blood off of me. I groaned as my muscles decided to seize from the sitting position. I rode it out, and then started healing my wounds.

Lilly appeared, and started licking my knuckles, which were shredded to the bones. They started healing, and I thanked her mentally, in too much pain to talk now that I stopped moving, and let my body register the pain.

I finished healing my muscles, and my knuckles finished healing. They were even more scarred now. I now had almost quarter-inch slabs of scar tissue over the first three knuckles and the skin between, but that's okay. My fingers still worked perfectly.

I leaned back, the only pain mental now, and lit a cinnamon flavored cigarette. I was almost out, but Lucy had finally shared how to make them, so I could magic up my own anyway.

I inhaled deep, tasting the spice and the sweet simultaneously. God if I had a cigar of this, I'd smoke it. I generally don't like cigars, but I really like this flavor. I looked over and down, at Lucy, in the living room, and I smiled. She was reading a novel, as always.

Some sappy romance called 'A Fault In Our Stars' I'd gifted it to her for her birthday a few months ago, along with about seventy other novels I was certain she had never read. She started sniffing, that snuff before you cry, and I sighed, walking downstairs slowly. I sat next to her, and pulled her to my shoulder.

"What kind of genius reads a sad book when they're pregnant and hormonal, huh? Jeez..." I sighed, petting her hair gently.

She chuckled a watery chuckle, and sniffed, cleaning her face with a tissue. "I know, but it's a really good book..." She said.

"I know, I've read it." I said, nodding. "Even sadder ending, trust me." I shrugged.

She sighed and set it down. "Carry me to bed?"

I laughed gently and picked her up, one arm under her knees and one under her shoulders. "Up we go, Princess." I smiled, and carried her to her room, laying her in her bed, and tucking her in. I kissed her forehead. "Sweet dreams, mama."

"Such a good boy. I don't deserve you..." She whispered, yawning.

"We both know I don't believe that. We deserve each other. We're both equally crazy." I grinned and kissed her forehead again. "Buenos noches, Madre."

"Buenos noches, Mi hijo." She smiled and drifted off to sleep.

I smiled and sat in the chair, reading. I wouldn't leave her alone for too long, especially right after an attack. I was feeling a little overprotective. I was reading an engaging document on the analysis of Chromosomal BioEngineering when there was a knock on the doorframe.

I'd heard her come in, making no moves to be quiet. I looked, surprised to see Jackie. I smiled. "Hey Jackie. What brings you here so late?"

"She doing okay? Mark told me everything... Crazy, huh?" She chuckled, and sat on the edge of the bed gently. She moved some of her hair, and kissed her forehead. "I thought she'd be awake, otherwise I wouldn't have come... Damn. I'll be back in the morning." She said, smiling.