Prologue

We watch blankly at the screen as we wait nervously for the President to come forth. All the citizens of our district have gathered around the Justice Building, waiting anxiously for what this years Games has to offer. In front of the screen is a close-up of a small, glass box containing several sealed gold envelopes.

Each and every one of us know the protocol of the Quarter Quells. The President, picks randomly, one envelope from the box on live television. What is written in each envelope is a set of detailed instructions on how the Quells will be organized that year.

This year marks the 100th year of the Hunger Games, leaving us cautious to find out how the Quells will be planned. We all know for a fact that this year will be the most treacherous Games of all, feeling pitiful for the unlucky pool of tributes who will be chosen.

The anthem plays and President Coraleine Ivy appears on stage.

"Greetings Panem, it is an honor to welcome a new year, and most especially, the 100th Hunger Games!"

We here the excitement of the Capitol citizens through the screen.

The President smiles joyfully and places her hand in the box. Halfway through, she pauses, and glares at the camera with the most threatening grin, sensing your fears. Before we begin, let me explain,

"A few decades ago, a rebellion was sparked, and the 13 districts of Panem rebelled against the Capitol. The Capitol was destroyed, but after decades, we rose up, and overthrew the 13 districts once again, introducing a newly revised treaty. This time, all 13 districts must sacrifice one courageous man and woman to participate in the newly prepared Games. This is to remind each one of the districts not to rebel, for they have no match against the Capitol."

The camera zooms right to President Ivy's face.

"This year marks the 100th anniversary, so we welcome the anticipating, Quarter Quells. Let us begin!"

The President places her hand in the box once again and sinks her hands slowly into the pile of golden envelopes. Suddenly, she raises her hand in the air, revealing one envelope.

"Let's see," she exclaims. Her long fingernails tear the envelope slowly, making us more nervous. Finally, she unfolds a piece of paper with the Capitol logo stamped red right on the corner.

"This year, we...," She scans the paper with her eyes for a few seconds and suppresses a smile.

"We will welcome 26 tributes to the arena, two from each district. One male and female. 10 tributes will be given the chance to leave the arena alive, and what happens to the 16 left, I'm sure we all know. But what happens to the 10 victors? That will be announced at the end of the Quarter Quells! May the odds be ever in your favour."

The screen goes blank...