The Reapings: District 2

I scream as I smashed each dummy's head with my mace. One by one, each one goes down, just like the tributes of The Hunger Games.

"Gavel, a few more hours until the Reapings, get yourself ready," father argues.

"Just a few more strikes."

I pelt a few more dummies, then throw my mace on the floor. Exiting the Training Center, I wipe the sweat off my forehead.

My father is one of the instructors in our training school, which means I get extra time to train. I've been training with a mace and sword ever since I was a child and now, I can use one as easily as I can walk.

I walk home thinking about the Reapings. Here in District 2, most of us teens only care about volunteering for The Hunger Games. To everyone here, it is an honor to represent your district.

If you do not take pride in your district, then you don't belong.

Each year, majority of us race to who volunteers first. Some make it back alive, but some don't.

I think to myself, does pride really matter if you end up dying in the end?

Once I reach home, I head straight to the shower. The hot water relaxes my muscles, making me feel a lot better.

I dress myself in a black coat, some denim jeans, and beige shoes. If I was to volunteer today, I had to make sure I looked great in front of the cameras. Everyone sees our district as one of the richest.

With an hour left before the Reapings, I decide to visit Clarissa. Clarissa is my best friend. Growing up together, we trained, teaching each other new stuff. It was really difficult because we used different weapons, but maybe that's what got us closer to each other. We were able to deal with any problems that came our way.

Right before out first Reapings, Clarissa and I vowed to make sure to volunteer at the same Games. Why? That I don't know. As we grew up, we started valuing the Games.

We thought that maybe this year will be our year, since we do have a chance of making it out without having to kill each other. Once the rules were announced, Clarissa ran to my house, telling me to volunteer.

Once I reach Clarissa's house, I spot her situated right under the tree growing on her backyard. She stares blankly at the ground, knowing for sure she must be thinking about the Games.

I approach her, and finally, she notices me. She smiles, and motions me to sit right next to her.

As soon as I sit, she asks,"Are you excited about today?"

"Should I be?" I reply.

"Yes, we promised that we would volunteer for the same Games. This is our chance to finally be in the Games, and have a chance to make it out alive. You heard President Ivy, 10 victors."

I stare at her. She makes everything sound so convincing.

"What if that was all a lie? What if we end up having to kill each other?"

Her excitement shifts to disappointment.

She's right. If we do enter these Games, we'll be able to make it out alive, both of us.

"That doesn't mean I won't volunteer with you today. I just wonder sometimes if what President Ivy said was really true."

Clarissa smiles right at me.

"Okay then, make sure. I wouldn't want to be in the Games alone. With both of us, nobody will stand a chance. C'mon, Let's make our district proud!"