Chapter 6: Disaster

***HERE IS THE NEXT CHAPTER! I REALLY HOPE THAT YOU GUYS ENJOY IT!! IF THERE ARE QUESTIONS ABOUT THINGS THAT I HAVE PUT IN HERE, DONT BE SHY! JUST TELL ME HOW I CAN IMPROVE MY WRITING, PLEASE.***
------------------------------------------------------

I turn my head in the direction of the soaring object as it slices through the air.

Adrenaline is rushing through my body and heightening my senses.

I jump, facing the scythe up vertically, and dodge what looks like a long throwing knife. With the help of my colorful wings, I land on the top of the scythe; the end with the blade down on the woodsy ground.

I look behind me at where the intricate dagger has logged itself into the trunk of a tree. The long, thin blade is silver and has a few delicate, golden swirls decorating it. On the golden-colored hilt is a smooth space for someone to hold it. Both above and below that space are tiny jewls in many different colors; there are red, green, blue, violet, yellow, clear, and white gems scattered about the two ends of the hilt that surround the grip.

It has grown late with everything that has gone on recently. I hadn't realized that so much time had passed until I looked up and saw the sinking golden-yellow sun through the thick branches of the trees.

Looking forward in the direction of Jesse's charcoal-black and blood-red Dragon, as well as the other Vampires, I find that he is fighting the only one that he has left to take care of.

I pause momentarily in confusion when I can only see two unconscious Vampires sprawled across the brown, leafy ground.

I look around the battered area for the last Vampire, only to find that the one that I had battled only minutes ago has disappeared as well.

I look back to Jesse and see that he is nearly finished with the final Vampire.

We need to leave before he gets finished and starts asking questions. Says Marissa calmly.

I know. I quietly reply to her. My mind is consumed with thoughts of Jesse King as I wonder if I should leave him here or not. After a moment of thought and consideration, I decide that he will be fine because his battle is nearly over already.

I'm going to go get the dagger before I leave. I say to Marissa as I silently jump down from my scythe, using my wings to be quieter.

I glance towards the tree that has the blade in it, only to find that it isn't in the tree.

Maybe it is in a different tree trunk, we could just be remembering wrong. Marissa suggests.

I walk over to the tree and stare at the hole in it.

No, this is the one that it hit, but if it isn't here, where is it? Did the two missing patrol Vampire take it, or someone else maybe? I shake my head to clear my thoughts. We have to get going. I think to myself.

I take one last glance over at Jesse before I slowly back up, bowing my head towards him in a silent 'thank you,' even though he can't see it. My footsteps are silent and don't catch his attention as I slip away.

When I am completely hidden from his sight, in the shadows, I turn and bolt towards my mansion. The trees around me blur and the forest is calling out to any who may hear it, full with life and Magic.

I slow my running when I near the part of the forest that creaps up behind my house. After walking a little further towards my house, I look closer at my surroundings before opening up a tear in time and space behind me. I step backwards into it, checking around myself as I pass through the black mist, so that I can change back into normal clothes and clean my weapon, as well as stitch up any tears in my white combat uniform.

I take my precious time, remembering how we used to be; how Mom, Dad and I use to be.

You used to be so happy. I miss that part about you. Says Marissa quietly.

I don't answer her as I put my things away neatly. I feel some tears sneak out of my eyes and stream down my face.

Stepping back from my things, I open the portal back up and walk through the black misty cloud.

Marissa becomes anxious and draws closer to the surface. Something isn't right. I feel like something bad is going to happen.

I begin walking towards the house with my top-floor balcony in mind and study the forest as I reach the end of it. My eyes widen when I realize something is off. My heartbeat speeds up in panic.

Marissa! It's too quiet, the forest is too quiet! It's just like that time! I'm scared--

My breath catches in my throat as I hear the shuffle and crunch of rocks in the dirt a few feet away from me. I spin around and hunch towards the ground in a defensive position; I have one hand on the ground and my feet spread in a position to lunge at whatever is on MY land, in MY property. With my heart beating the way that it is, it feels like it's pounding out of my chest.

I feel my eyes change to a glowing aqua-teal as Marissa pushes further to the surface, trying to shift so that she can protect me.

Marissa! Stop it! If someone catches us shifting, then they could end up finding out who we are!

I get no response as her thoughts and judgement is completely clouded in fear for our safety, as well as fear of what or who is lurking near.

I feel some scales start to form on my skin and mist begins twining around me. The scales haven't reached my face, neck or lower arms yet so they aren't visible to others, but if this continues going the way it is, someone could see them and piece things together about my past, my family's past.

My eyes catch a slight movement in the shadows. I still all my movement and hold my breath in anticipation.

And that's when it happens.

------------------------------------------------------

THANKS FOR READING!!!

UNTIL NEXT TIME!

DAWN IS OUT!