05; finest hour

"Alexandria why - why are you here?" Klaus stammered. 

His brain is on overdrive. 

Seeing her up close made Klaus' heart skip a beat. He was scared, for the first time in a long time he was scared.

"I'm here - I'm here to talk to Hayley." Alex said, her heart racing wildly as she looked to Klaus. The feelings of longing and rage rushed through her veins. She wanted to kiss him but she wanted to rip his heart out. For four decades she waited for Klaus to come back to New Orleans, to come back for her. 

He never did, so, she gave up all hope. 

All she ever thought about was why the man she loved so dearly, abandoned her and left her to die. 

Klaus stepped out of the doorway and let Alex inside. Admittedly, Alex felt uncomfortable stepping inside the same house she once came to for parties with Klaus and celebrated anniversaries together.

Together. 

Klaus glanced to Alexandria. She was just as beautiful as she was a century ago, perhaps even more. Her blonde hair swayed side to side as she stepped into the corridor. He closed the door, trying to suppress the emotions he was currently feeling. 

Alex walked around the room, taking in the sights of the past and the present. Klaus cleared his throat, grabbing her attention. "I will go fetch Hayley. Make yourself at home, Alexandria." 

Alex felt a shiver go down her spine as Klaus said her name. She sat down on the nearest chair and looked up to an unmoved Klaus. Briefly, they both made eye contact. Memories and guilt rushed through their heads. 

Both feeling betrayed by the other.

Klaus was the first to walk away. He walked away, standing at the bottom of the stairs, ready to walk up to Hayley's room. 

Alex felt uneasy with her choice of coming to the house. She thought it would be the best thing to do, to help Hayley. 

Hayley walked into the living room, feeling a wave of relief wash over her. "About damn time someone I actually like is coming to visit." Hayley smiled, walking over and sitting beside Alexandria. "So, you actually married Klaus." Hayley said, breaking the ice, giving Alexandria a welcoming hug.

"You don't beat around the bush, do you?" Alexandria let out a small chuckle, feeling slightly at ease.

"Are you two still a thing..?" Hayley asked carefully. 

"No," Alexandria said quickly. "We haven't been together for over a century. It's ... complicated." She fiddled with the necklace around her neck.  "But I'm here to help you, well protect you from the enemies that will come for the baby. I highly recommend you take my offer."

Hayley looked to the vampire. She saw a different side to Alexandria - a side only a mother would have. 

The protector. Hayley knew certain things about Alexandria but Elijah warned her that she doesn't know the full story of the little Petrova. 

"What happens if I don't take this 'offer'? Elijah claimed he would protect me and now he's suddenly gone missing. Why should I believe you when you say you will protect me?" Hayley demanded. 

Alexandria looked the girl straight in the eye, a blank Petrova stare. "Because this family will kill you."

In the days that followed, Alexandria found herself conflicted with the issues that had been put in her path. Marcel, her adopted son and loyal friend, had been pushed beyond his boundaries as Klaus began to weasel his way back into Marcel's good books. Lynn and Elijah had began to help Davina develop her magic - even though it is a good thing, Alexandria still felt uneasy about it. 

Marcel and Davina are her children, no matter what age. Marcel brought Davina into their lives after saving her from that inhumane Harvest ritual. She still remembered the terrified little sixteen year old that she met in the church attic. 

"Davina, this is Alexandria. The woman I was telling you about." Marcel explained to the little brunette sitting in the middle of the bed. "She is my mother, adoptive mother. You can trust her."  

Alexandria stepped closer to Davina, placing a pile of clothes on the bed. Davina watched Alexandria closely with a mixture of fear and concern. Alexandria looked to Davina and gave her a little smile. "It's okay. You're safe, the witches wouldn't be able to find you here." 

Davina looked to Alexandria, looking slightly frightened. 

"No need to be scared, little one." Alexandria said softly. "You don't have to be scared anymore." She smiled softly to Davina. "You're going to be protected now, by myself and by Marcel." 

"How are you going to keep me safe? The witches will come after me." Davina began to panic. Alexandria sat beside the girl, gently moving Davina's hair out of her face. Alexandria instantly felt protective of the teenage girl. She saw a light inside of Davina, a bright light. 

Just like Alexandria saw in her

"They will not dare to hurt you. They know what we are capable of, and they know what I am capable of. I will protect, always, Davina." Alexandria promised. "Remember, I always keep my promises." 

"Daydreaming?" A voice appeared behind Alexandria. 

A smile crept upon her lips. She recognised the voice. "Stalking?" Alexandria turned around to see a familiar brunette. She was beautifully tanned with big brown eyes and big brown curls. Alexandria never understood how someone like that could be her twin. 

Nadia Petrova arched her brow. "Yes because I like to stalk my sister." She chuckled before tackling Alexandria in a tight hug. "God, I've missed you sestra. I'm so happy that I found you here." Nadia whispered. "I cannot believe it's been over a decade." 

"Well you went off with that Gregory and we have called, emailed and skyped." Alexandria chuckled, softly touching Nadia's hair. "You look tired. Is everything okay?" 

Nadia debated about telling Alexandria about their mother, but she knew about her twin's dislike of their mother. If Alexandria knew what Nadia was planning she would pack her bags and go straight to Mystic Falls alongside Nadia; and that is dangerous. Alexandria is an Original's wife and Katherine's daughter - she would be a massive target. She needed to stay safe. Nadia knew that." 

"I'm starving." Nadia lied swiftly. "The blood I'm getting it terrible and I miss your gumbo." 

Alexandria at this point knew something was wrong, but she didn't point it out. She wanted one normal night with her sister. 

Soon, those nights were going to become very limited. 

_

A/N: This was an extremely random and very late chapter but I hope you enjoyed it.