Prologue

December 2012.

I was waiting for my best friend's call who'd confirm our holidays plans: California. We had planned this little trip a few months earlier when I had won tickets through a travel agency. The agreement was that we could choose our destination to go for two weeks, expense paid vacation. We had to act quickly, because the departure date was scheduled two weeks later.

So, who am I? My name's Veronica. They call me Ronnie. I'm 17 and a half and I live in Wisconsin with my parents and my older brother, Jason. A boyfriend? Not at the moment. I'm more the kind of girl that reads her book and drink a mocha coffee with lots of whipped cream. I love winter because people are more affectionate towards each other. They cuddle under a blanket hoping one day to find someone to keep us warm. More about myself, I sometimes have problems with language. My brother knows how to talk to me with the signs, because although I understand, I appreciate that he can contact me in the most anxious moments of my life. Lucky as I am, evil always takes me by surprise. In fact, always, before this famous journey...

The phone woke me up from my thoughts.

"Hello?" I asked.

"It's all settled. The agency let us leave in three days, so we'll be back for Christmas," said Jasmine in the handset.

"I'll pick you up around 10 o'clock in the morning. Be ready. And do not fulfill all your shoes luggage, this time," I said, remembering the events of our trip the previous year.

That night, I fell asleep, hoping to meet new people, but mostly to forget the last few months during that small journey.