Chapter 2 ∼ Veronica

When we were up in the air, I was thinking about loads of things. First, about Mark. I was wondering if he'd still like me. I liked him a lot. He was not only my best friend, but there was something in his eye that made me sort of fall in love with him.  I knew nothing would ever happen between us two because first of all, I've never had a good friend like him since the guy I talked about and I would've never wanted to break that bond between us. Second, he lives on the other half of the world, the other side of the country. That just wouldn't work.

Jasmine was sleeping, I had to wake her up before we landed. She was excited and sleepy at the same time and that was quite funny.

"I missed something?" she asked while trying to open her eyes.

I laughed. "No, actually, but we're landing. I just wanted to let you know."

"Thank you, bro. I'll have some time to read that mag."

She pulled out a teen magazine out of her snatchel and started reading it.

That girl is more than random.

"Maybe we'll meet a celebrity from this on the streets of the city," she said her fingers flipping the pages.

"Or maybe we won't. There are so many people in Holywood, you think we could just meet up with a celeb like this?" I asked, looking at her for some kind of a response.

"BE POSITIVE, RONNIE. FUCK."

She bented her head on the back or her seat. Jasmine rarely swears, but she does. When you can hear her curse, it's probably because she really is pissed about the situation.

"Sorry," I apologized.

"It's just that I want everything to work out. You know," she said, staring into my eyes.

"Me too."

The plane softly landed on the road of the LAX airport.

Out of the machine, I took my luggage and I turned around to face Jasmine.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"3:00 in the afternoon." she replied with a depressed air before plunging into the world of that gossip magazine again.

She put her fingers around her suitcase's handgrip.

"Let's go. Anyway, you said that Mark should be here at 2:45," Jasmine said.

"Oh shit, I forgot!"

I brought my hand to my forehead, then added:

"Let's go right now, you're right. He's waiting for us at the main door."

We walked. And walked. And walked. Until I finally found the exit. Once that was done, I looked at the small but compact mass of people crowded at the door without finding any trace of Mark, a friend, a relative, or whoever connected to him. A hand suddenly patted my shoulder.

"Ronnie?" I heard.

I turned around and I saw him. I missed him so much.

"MARK?!!"

I threw myself into his arms and in an quick flash, I remembered all those memories of him. When we met. He used to be so silent. Silent as a photo. Sometimes, he spoke to me. These words turned too fast secrets and in confidences. He became my first choice when I wanted to talk. Even Jasmine could not help me like that, it always ended in the mouth of another girl or the online. I knew Mark would always be there for me, you could see it in his eyes.

He pressed his lips against my left temple.

"I missed you so much," he said.

"Me too. You have no idea," I replied.

"It's okay. We understood," said Jasmine, now kissing on each cheek Mark. "Remember me? I'm Jasmine."

He nodded and smiled before pointing out the finger.

"The car is parked in the parking lot. Ready, on your side?"

"Go!" I said, rushing to the vehicle.

"I would have invited you to stay with me, but I have a friend who lives in the basement." said Mark, parking the car in front of the hotel.

"It's all paid, anyway. But that doesn't mean we wouldn't want to stay with you!" I replied, smiling.

We left the car and opened the trunk to take our luggages.

"I planned to do a party tomorrow night to introduce you to some close people. Is that okay?" the boy asked.

"Thanks a lot to take care of us, Mark. Works perfectly. New people..." I said.

"Okay. I'll call you," he said.

"Thank you so much," I said, giving him a hug. Jasmine did the same and within a few minutes, he was already gone.

I wondered what he meant by new people. Guys who flirt? Girls who want us to visit the city? People who'll become great friends? I would have to wait until tomorrow evening to find out what or who it is.