Chapter Four ~ Davina

Davina

I'm confused, but then again, I'm always confused. The girls I work with are really intelligent and sometimes I feel really stupid. People say I'm stupid and dumb and lots of other things that are not very nice. I smile and take all that they say to me, but most of the time they don't realise that they're hurting my feelings. I'm not the smartest of people, but I do have a heart and it gets trampled on by hurtful comments.

I know they think I can't take a joke, it just takes some time for it to sink into my brain and then I get it, then I start laughing.

I'm a lot younger than the rest of them; they've known each other for a really long time. I've only known them for about a year. I came to work for Clarissa after I finished my college beauty course. I remember coming for an interview with Clarissa, we clicked straight away and she never made me feel like an idiot. She welcomed me with open arms, we laughed and I think she was impressed with my qualifications. She looked through my portfolio and loved everything she saw. On my first day of starting at Clarissa's I met Carla and Brenda, we all clicked too. It was like I had found long lost sisters or something.

All my qualifications for beauty treatments are framed and displayed in the beauty room. I take pride in my work, I love people and I love those girls. I love working here full stop.

I stand listening to Brenda and Carla chatting, I'm struggling to keep up with their conversation, they are both intelligent women, Clarissa is too, so to say that I'm struggling is an understatement. They talk about a lot of things, all different kinds of subjects and I wonder what they're talking about most of the time. They use big and baffling words too, I just nod in agreement most of the time, but I still don't know what most of those words mean. I can keep up when we talk about work; all things hair and beauty is a subject I like to talk about. I have a client in five minutes who needs a full set of gel nails, she's doing a photo shoot for a modelling agency tomorrow, so she asked if I could do her nails. I tried to talk her into having a spray tan as well, but she declined my offer.

Brenda and Carla are talking about Brenda and Simon's date night tonight, something was said about decorating. I'm sure if it was me, not spending much quality time with my man, would mean that I would be doing more than decorating. Brenda said something about covering each other with sweat; I guess decorating can be a sweaty business. Surely they should be doing other things, I think to myself.

"CARLA COOK!" I hear Clarissa yell.

"Oh shit!" She says, running back inside. She's in a lot of trouble already with Clarissa for being late. Brenda and I giggle. We're used to Clarissa calling Carla by her full name when she's in trouble.

"That girl is going to get herself in a whole lot of bother," Brenda says as she lights up another cigarette. I'm sure she's just smoked one, because I can smell it in the air. I've learned not to say anything to her though, my comments are shot down and I'm told to 'mind my own business', so I gave up months ago trying to tell Brenda what to do. There's no point. "She was late... again, and now Clarissa has to shout her when a client turns up. She's not having a good morning so far," she says, taking a deep pull on her smoke, inhaling and releasing a fog of smoke. I waft the air in front of my face, because the slight breeze has sent it in my direction. I cough when I breathe in the smoke she exhales, I hate smoking so much. It gives you wrinkles around your mouth and makes your skin look sallow and older than it should. Not to mention the health issues it causes, they smell disgusting too. I shudder at my own thoughts. "Sometimes I wonder if that girl realises she's born." What? I have no idea what that means, I think Brenda sees my confused expression.

"Of course she knows she's born, she's living and I really don't know what you're talking about," I say, still confused as hell at my friends terminology for stuff.