Chapter Five - Clarissa

Clarissa

Davina has decided that we should all go out for a meal this weekend. I have to say that I'm relieved; this is my kind of night out. I'm not into the club scene much these days, I prefer a place we can all go and chat, somewhere quiet where we can hear one another talk. Being in a place that bursts my ear drums is not my idea of fun anymore. When I was younger, yes. It's not the most awe inspiring idea of a night out, but I know all the girls will have a great time; we always do, no matter where we go or what we do.

It will soon be time for me to close up for the evening, Carla is washing the pots in the kitchen, Davina is tidying her beauty room and Brenda is sweeping and mopping the salon floor. I'm cashing up for the day. I'm so lucky to have a successful business. But this is the only unisex hair salon within a ten mile radius, so I guess the success all boils down to geography. I have a steady list of male and female clients and business improved when I employed Davina. Her beauty treatments increased my profits by twenty percent, and that was just in the first six months. Her skill and dedication is admirable. If another salon opened here, I could lose customers and my business would crumble.

I have an idea in the pipeline, I'm just waiting for confirmation before I tell the girls all about it. The new improvements could really work well for my business, but to say I'm a little worried that it may not work is a bit of an understatement. We'll see; if the girls like it, then I'm halfway there.

I'm not rich, far from it, but I do live a comfortable single life because of it. I can go home to my cat soon and have a cuddle with her. Marmite is extremely capable of turning a shit day into a great one. She has long ginger fur that gets everywhere, it clogs up my hoover and covers my clothes, but I adore her and wouldn't be without her. She is my companion when I feel alone, my friends are only a phone call away, but I love the silent sense of wellbeing Marmite gives me. Well, she's silent most of the time, apart from when she's hungry and she meow's for her empty belly to be filled. Also, she has the loudest purr I have ever heard and it resonates when I'm tickling her belly. Until she's had enough, then she bites my hand to tell me to stop.

"See you tomorrow," all the girls say and we part company. I only live a short distance away. This is a very small village in the suburbs of Berkshire. A place called Quick's Green is the place I've called home since I was born. I love it here and it was the perfect place to open the once butchers shop into a hair salon, as soon as I saw the empty space, I made an offer. Most people buy their meat from the major supermarkets these days, because of that, the butchers lost a lot of business and it closed its doors. I managed to negotiate a fair rent on the shop, I got a bank loan and fitted it out into a salon so that people could come and have their hair designed by me. Since then, I have not once looked back on my decision to take the plunge and run my own business. I used to cut hair for another salon out of the village, but one day I chose to leave and follow my gut instinct. I'm so glad I did, as it's all worked out, so far anyway. But there were a few sleepless nights; I lay awake, wondering if I had made the right decision, wondering if I could achieve my goals, worrying that I might get sued for cutting someone with my scissors. But so far, all that worry has been worth it. There is only one thing missing from my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not desperate, well, most of the time I'm not. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I had the love of my life to share all this with. I dream of a man, not only is he able to make me scream from a thundering orgasm, but he's there to listen to me rant about my friends if they've pissed me off, or a shit day of never ending babble and chatter from gossiping customers. I've read the million magazines that we have lying around in the salon, all of them giving advice on how to snare a fella. They all say the same thing; 'don't look for love, love will find you'. Bullshit!