Chapter 5: Team Dweeb!

"Are you trying to tell me that this is a new Pokemon?" Nurse Joy exclaimed, but then lowered her voice "This is bad timing, Professor! I've heard that there are roughly four different teams in this area and not the good kind! You'd both be in danger if anyone found out, especially since your Pokemon is still very weak!"

"I thought you'd given him an energy boost!" The professor protested defensively.

"That was to help his body recover itself, not to go off fighting again! You need to be careful." She warned sternly and the professor folded his arms.

"No one's going to find out about him and even if they did, why would they say anything?" he muttered. "This Pokemon is nothing special so far. It can barely even walk! Why would anyone be interested in something so weak?" Professor Oak nodded firmly, sure that he'd made his point, when a paper cup hit his head and clattered to the floor.

"I'm awake, you know." Sonic muttered darkly.

"You never said anything about it talking!" Nurse Joy cried and ran over "Can you tell me what's wrong? Does anything hurt? Do you need a drink? Some food?" Sonic looked at her uneasily as he sat up and found that he was feeling a lot better, but food always sounded good to him... especially if...

"Er... Do you have any chili dogs?" he asked hopefully and Nurse Joy blinked in surprise.

"You like human food? Well, ok then! I'll get you some water, too. You need to stay hydrated, after all!" she smiled kindly and ran out of his room.

"You're really odd, you know that? Human food... I've only ever heard of Pokemon that can safely eat processed human foods!" Professor Oak folded his arms "Are all of your kind like you?"

"Huh? Well, they all talk and eat normal food, if that's what you mean." Sonic looked up at him and frowned "What's a Pokemon?"

"What?!" The professor cried in disbelief "You're a Pokemon! Anything that's not human is a Pokemon!" he leaned forwards to get a closer look at him "Everyone knows that." he added, almost accusingly and they stared at each other for a long tense moment. Suddenly, Nurse Joy walked back in with a tray and Sonic licked his lips at the smell of the chili dog. He slowly picked it up and took a long slow bite out of it, to enjoy the flavor. Then, as the chili sauce tried to drip out, he licked it up with his super speed and demolished the whole plate in a second.

"Man, nothing beats a chili dog!" he grinned happily before he gulped down the water.

"That was... quick." Nurse Joy blinked, dumbfounded by his speed.

"I was told he was pretty quick, but seeing it is still quite.... I don't know... it's almost unbelievable!" The professor gasped. "Exactly how fast can you go?" he asked.

"I dunno, I just run fast. I've outrun all sorts of stuff though. I'm the fastest thing alive, the blue blur, faster than speed of sound! You can't see me with the naked eye." The hedgehog raised his eyebrow at Professor Oak accusingly "Everyone knows that."

The professor frowned deeply and opened his mouth to respond, but then an alarm went off. He turned to Nurse Joy in alarm, who was running out "Gather the Pokemon!" she cried. Professor Oak was about to follow when he heard a voice.

"Oh dear, James!" a womans voice sighed dramatically "It seems there's been a breach in security..." The professor turned to see two tall people drop down through the window silently and groaned. "Looks as though they should prepare for trouble!"

"They should make that double!" The man with almost lilac coloured hair held a rose out in front of him as he posed to speak.

"To protect the world from devastation!"

"To unite all peoples in our nation!"

"To denounce the evils of truth and love!"

"To extend our reach to the stars above!" Their positions suddenly changed so that they faced their 'audience'.

"Jessie!" She swished her strangely shaped pinkish hair and blinked a few times for effect.

"James!" He twisted and held out his rose.

"Team Rocket, blasting off at the speed of light!"

"Surrender now, or prepare to fight!" Suddenly, another figure dropped from the window and landed in front of his team delicately. He grinned and folded his arms as stood up into the light, revealing his round, cheeky features. 

"Meowth! That's right!"

"Doesn't that ever get old for you?" The professor whined.

"I think it gets even better every time we say it!" James beamed in reply, before they all got into an attacking stance. "Now hand over your new Pokemon!"

"Never!" The Professor pulled out a Pokeball and threw it at Team Rocket "Pidgy, I choose you!" The bird appeared and opened its wings to hover as it cried "Pidgy!"

Jessie was the first to react from Team Rocket, calling on her Woobat, she threw it confidently at Professor Oak "Woobat, Air Slash!" she cried and the bat pokemon immediately attacked the Pidgy with a battle cry of "Woobat!"

"Pidgy, gust attack!" The professor cried quickly, and the Pidgy sent the attack straight back at Woobat, but James threw his pokeball in the way.

"Yamask, deflect the attack!" the ghost Pokemon instantly did this, only just saving the Woobat from his own attack. "Use night shade, now!" 

Sonic watched as the battle unfolded, not even sure what was going on, but it was interesting to see all of their abilities and how their owners used them. He wondered why the Pokemon listened to them so easily, even though they were getting hurt. Even though Pidgy struggled against the two Pokemon it was up against, it didn't back down until, suddenly, Woobat used air slash again, and Pidgy was too weak to gust it back. It hit the Pokemon, which was sent flying into Professor Oak's dismayed arms.

"Hand it over, old man, you lose!" James demanded and Professor Oak scowled, but didn't reply.

"I hope you're not talking about me." Sonic was suddenly leaning against a wall next to Team Rocket. "I'm not something that he can hand over." Meowth blinked at him, surprised.

"You're a talking Pokemon!" he said, half in awe, half with glee and Sonic blinked at him. He gave a small nod, since he wasn't sure what to say. He wanted to deny to being a Pokemon, but he'd already been down that road and wasn't fond of repetitiveness.

"Are you saying you'll fight us?" Jessie asked, to clear things up, to which Professor Oak looked up.

"Sonic, if you lose, they'll put you back in a pokeball." he warned as he nursed his Pidgy. Sonic gritted his teeth at the news, but then turned with a grin and gave him the thumbs up.

"Don't worry, there's no way I'd lose to Team Dweeb!"