Six - The Aquarium

The doctors didn't release me from the hospital until the next day. By that time, Rachel and Annabeth were already out, but they came to pick me up.

The three of us went back to Annabeth and mine's apartment. Annabeth made coffee and we sipped on our mugs at the table. Getting used to the cast on my arm was quite tricky, as I couldn't do some things that I normally could and it also stretched from just below my elbow up to my wrist, so it felt quite awkward to use my left hand.

"So," Annabeth says quietly. "What now?"

"We wait," Rachel sighs. "The doctors said that they'll know by today or tomorrow."

"Well, I don't know about you two, but I don't really feel like waiting around." I say, then take another gulp of my drink.

"Me neither," Rachel says. "Waiting around just feels boring, like we could be doing something else but we're not."

"Hm, I guess so." Annabeth replies.

"We could go visit the aquarium." I suggest.

"Percy, you've just gotten out of hospital, you can't overexert yourself." Annabeth scolds.

"What about our usual Saturday night..." I smirk at her and wiggle my eyebrows.

Annabeth blushes and hides her face in her hands. "I didn't mean it like that!"

"Oh, you so meant it like that."

Rachel looks between us and giggles. "Well, keep this information private please. I don't want to walk in on you two ... getting at it."

"We don't do -" Annabeth starts but I cut her off.

"Of course we'll try not to." I say.

Annabeth, who's sitting right beside me, slaps my leg. "Seaweed Brain!"

"Anyway, about the aquarium?" Rachel asks.

"Fine." Annabeth sighs. "Lets go."

•••

Once we finish our coffee, the three of us walk to the P.A.A. Being the son of the owner, I got us in for free. We head off towards the exhibits.

The corridor we enter next was made of glass. Around and above us were hundreds of tiny fish. We stand on a conveyor belt which pulls us down the corridor and into many large rooms, and even though I've seen it a hundred times, I was speechless.

Suddenly, in the middle of the shark room, Annabeth's phone rings. She picks it up. "Hello? - Yes, it's Annabeth, Thalia's friend."

Rachel and I exchange glances. Oh no. I think to myself softly.

"She - she didn't make it?" Annabeth gasps, and covers her mouth. Tears spark in her eyes and I wrap an arm around her shoulder comfortingly. "Yes, I understand. We'll be there in half an hour." Annabeth hangs up and looks at me, then at Rachel.

"Well?" Rachel prompts, even though she's probably already figured out what happened. "What did they say?"

"It's Thalia." Annabeth's eyes trail to the floor. I squeeze her shoulder gently. "She - she died five minutes ago. There was nothing they could do."