Seven - The Funeral

The crowd of people gathered in the carpark are all wearing black. I recognise my cousins Jason, Nico, Bianca and Hazel standing in the crowd. Jason and his girlfriend Piper, Nico and his boyfriend Will (well, they're not together yet, but in the future it's a definite), and Hazel with Frank. There's also Leo, Grover, Reyna, Rachel and Annabeth who're standing with them.

Everyone else is composed of other relatives of Thalia, including my parents. I step out of my car and shut the door, my arm now no longer in its cast, and walk over, head bowed, to where Annabeth is standing.

It's been nearly three months since Thalia's death, and we've moved along fine, to be honest. Though we now try to avoid car travel as much as possible, we've been continuing on with our daily lives just as normal. That's the thing about your friends dying - at first you're sad and depressed, but then you get used to not having that person there and it goes normal again. Also, Rachel came back from the UK for the funeral and will fly back out tomorrow, so Annabeth and I are planning on going out for dinner with her tonight.

As the group of black-clad people shuffle slowly into the room, I grip Annabeth's hand tightly. In her free hand, she's holding a piece of paper - our speeches - as we'll have to speak at some point.

We enter the building and take our seats at the front of the room. After everyone files in, the coffin is brought in. The hall is completely silent - you could hear a pin drop if you really strained your ears - and no one is staring at the coffin as it is brought up to the front of the room. A photo of Thalia is placed on top and the speaker at the front begins with saying a few words before calling up people to speak.

First, it's Thalia's brother and his girlfriend. Piper is crying silently, and Jason looks solemn and unfocused behind his glasses. Once they're finished, Hazel, Bianca and Nico go up. Then it's Thalia's parents and some other friends including Rachel before finally, Annabeth and I go up.

Annabeth unfolds the piece of paper on the lectern and looks at me. I give her a weird look and she sighs and points to the paper. "Oh, right." I say, and step forwards. I clear my throat and begin. "Thalia was not only my cousin, but one of my closet friends. She worked at my dad's aquarium and we went through high school together. Annabeth and I met up with her and hung out ever few weeks, as we wanted to keep in touch. The day she died will be the day that will haunt me the most, not because I almost lost my life as well, but because I lost my cousin and friend. I may never forgive myself, but I will keep on fighting, for Thalia."

I take a step backwards, hastily wiping a tear from my eye as Annabeth steps up. She starts off strong but falters slightly in the middle. "Thalia was my best friend - we were like sisters. We've known each other since we were seven, and we've always stuck together like glue. I - I will n - never forget all the fun time we - we shared, n - nor the pain of lose - losing her." Annabeth takes a deep gulp of air and I put a hand on her lower back to steady her. She glances back at me and I can see the tear stains running down her cheeks. "Thalia, you were my bestest friend. I - I will never for - forget you. N - never."

Suddenly, Annabeth bursts into tears. I quickly pull her into my chest and softly pat her back. "Shh, shh, it's okay," I mumble. "Relax, it's fine."

I pick Annabeth up bridal style and take her back to our seats. She looks up into my eyes and croaks out: "I - I just w - want her b - back."

A tear escapes my eye. "I know," I whisper.