Epilogue

It's been just over a year since Thalia's death, and not much has changed. I've taken over as CEO of the aquarium, and Rachel's met a nice Italian painter. Annabeth and I are no different, besides that today marks our fifth anniversary since we started dating.

In approximately ten minutes, Annabeth is going to come home from where she's been at one of her friends Piper's place and we'll go out for dinner. Even as I think, the tiny black box in my pocket seems to weigh a thousand pounds.

I sit waiting for her in the living room, all nervous and jittery. You know how you feel when you're going to a new school and you have no idea where anything is but you have a small clue and yet you're tense, nervous and excited all rolled into one? Yeah, that's about how I feel right now.

Suddenly, there's the sound of the door unlocking as it swings open. Annabeth walks in, and I see her dart into our bedroom. I'm already dressed so I just have to wait for her. And when she comes out five minutes, my jaw goes slack.

She's wearing a knee-length sleeveless grey dress which seems to flow down her body. Her hair tumbles down her shoulders and she's wearing white flats.

 Her hair tumbles down her shoulders and she's wearing white flats

"You - you look amazing." I stumble over my words as I stare at her, absolutely gobsmacked.

She giggles at my wowed expression. "You don't look too shabby yourself." We link arms and walk out the door of our apartment.

When we reach the restaurant, we're seated outside underneath the moonlight. As we make our way through the courses, all I can do is stare and think about how beautiful she is.

As we get up to go, I see this as the perfect opportunity. We're alone, and as we both stare at the stars above us, I turn her to face me.

"Annabeth," I start, gazing deep into her eyes. "I want you to know that I love you."

Her face shows confusion. "I already know that, Seaweed Brain." She says.

And then I get down on one knee and pull the ring box from my pocket.

Immediately, Annabeth's hands fly to her mouth. She lets out a soft gasp and I grin as widely as I can. "Annabeth Chase, I love you with all my heart and want to spend the rest of my life with you, so would you please marry me, Wise Girl?"

"Yes," she squeals, and pulls me to my feet. "I'm never leaving your side."

I kiss her softly and all my worries melt away. We kiss beneath the moonlight, and I want to keep that moment locked in my brain forever.

It's you and me, Wise Girl. Just us.

Forever.