Waiting Game

CHAPTER FIVE

Waiting Game

I apologize in advance for A: having to wait so long, and B: that this chapter might not be exactly perfect. Everything is much clearer now that I got through this hiccup. Thank you Theone 

Sean's POV:

I was waiting at the emergency room doors when the ambulance pulled in. Kota jumped out first in order to allow the EMT's room to do their job. Kota let me pass. He'd had me on speaker phone with the EMT's the whole ride here. It had been absolute torture listening to my little Emily scream and cry in pain. I couldn't even call her Doctor Evil at the moment. Right now she was simply my very precious daughter that I wanted to help. Unfortunately, I didn't hear any of the howls of pain when they brought her out of the back, and that worried me more than anything.

"I'm her father, Doctor Green. Report."

"She has just lost consciousness," the first EMT stated.

As they rolled her in, I moved the blanket and checked her abdomen. "Sh*t. Who is the surgeon on call?" I hollered as soon as we breached the doors of the hospital.

"Doctor Samuels is. What's wrong, Doctor Green? Is that Emily?" The nurse replied.

"Yes, Shelly. Her appendix has ruptured. We need to get her prepped. I believe we can get it quickly." I turned to Emily. "Hang on, pumpkin pie."

"Doctor Green, I got an urgent text. What is wrong?" Doctor Samuels approached the moving gurney, taking the clipboard as we walked.

"She diagnosed herself, the evil genius. I believe the appendix has ruptured. You should be able to get in there quickly and get everything rather than antibiotics and waiting."

"I agree. Do you want to scrub in and watch?" Doctor Samuels asked.

"No. I would be worrying constantly and probably be telling you what you're doing wrong."

"Ah, just like when I was following you around during my residency. I will let you know as soon as I am done." Doctor Samuels patted me on the arm.

"Please take care of her," I said as I stopped to give my little Emily a kiss.

"I promise, I will." With that, they went through the doors. I turned and slowly went back to where I knew Kota would be waiting. As I entered the waiting area, I saw Kota on the phone facing away from the direction I was coming. I walked over, slumping in the seat next to him.

"He just came out. I'll see you soon. Love you too." He pushed a button to end the call. "What's the word?"

"Pretty sure her appendix ruptured. Doctor Samuels has her heading back to surgery now. Who were you on the phone with?" I was trying to change the subject.

"Owen. He is rounding everyone up. The kids don't want to stay away. They're just as worried as everyone else is. Our company is coming as well. Even if it's just for moral support. Phoenix is apparently beside himself. Oh, and Alexander and Xavier too. Sang, said they look like lost little puppies." He was flipping the phone over and back again in his hands, silently counting in his head no doubt.

We sat in silence. I kept going over the basic procedure in my head, hoping that it wasn't ruptured. I didn't know how much time had passed, but both Kota and I were startled from our thoughts when kids jumped in our laps, courtesy of Isis and Xavier.