FUN

CHAPTER EIGHT

Fun

Again thank you, TheoneRae. You continue to put up with me, and I appreciate it every single time. Thank you, Shana, for being so supportive, Patricia too. Thank you, hunny-bunch, for being the husband to this neurotic, slightly off-kilter wife who just throws out weird ideas in the oddest of places. 

Phoenix's POV:

I woke up alone, lying on the old bean-bag chair with the firefly lights still on. I looked at my phone to see what time it was. Crap. It was three in the morning, and I had several missed calls. I wouldn't really be in trouble, but I needed to check in. Mom wouldn't sleep comfortably until she knew I was safe. Truth is, they all knew where I was, I could guarantee that. I was about to text when I felt movement. The door cracked open, and Papa North's head popped in. He motioned with his finger for me to come out. I didn't really want to. I really did have a connection here now. Reluctantly, I crawled out to my Papa North sitting on the bed, waiting. He patted to a spot beside him.

I signed, "How did you know I was here?"

"Call it a lucky guess. This place brings back so many memories; good, bad, weird. Here, I have an idea. Follow me." Papa North got up and went to the window, then climbed out.

I followed him out the window only to see him sitting not too far off to the right. I went and sat down next to him. He was staring up at the stars.

"I used to bring your mom out here. Times were so much simpler then. I could show her the stars and give her the world, and there wasn't anyone who would tell me any differently. Well, until my brothers all fell in love with her too." He dropped his hands. I thought he was done talking, but he was just thinking. "I know you have feelings for Nova, but you have to take that class if you are going to get anywhere near her, son. Show her the world. Take your time too. You are an incredible boy with a bright future."

Wow, how off base he was as to why I had run here. I had screwed up. I had already been emotional, and then Cadence said what she did. I had been the perfect son, taking up and being everything I thought my father would have wanted me to be. When he talked to me last night, he said he had been watching. I was everything and more, and I needed to lighten up, except on missions. Those were too important. It had been amazing though. I had laughed, cried, had some anger, but everything felt right. Sure, I probably needed to see a shrink, but I felt good. I turned to Papa North, and signed, "You're right, I do like her. I've liked her for as long as I can remember. She's just so..." I couldn't think of the right words, "Oy, fu*k!"

I got chopped on the head. "I don't know who taught you that, but even without a voice, you sounded just like your dad." Then he was wiping at his eyes.

I put my arm around his neck, and signed with my other hand, "I love you, Dad. Thanks for the pep talk."

He put me in a headlock, and gave me a noogie, knowing I couldn't get loose from it, but it broke any tension, and had me laughing. "Can we take a ride out to the countryside in your jeep? Please?"

"That's a little odd, but sure." We turned off all the lights, hid the door to the secret room, locked the window, and went out the front door.

We had been driving for about an hour when I heard my dad talk to me. I of course made a little jump, but played it off as if a bug had hit me. I loved driving with the top off. It felt like freedom.

Oy, son! You really want to freak North out? He used to get on my case when he first started driving. I used to stand up in my seat when we had the top off. Hands straight up. When I tell you to, sign to him, exactly what I say.

Okay, Dad.

That sounds so nice to hear. Thank you, Son.

I took off my seatbelt very slowly. Then I stood up. I thought having the top off was freedom, this was truly freedom. I looked down at Papa North. He was motioning for me to sit, and pulling at my pant legs. I was laughing. I heard what I was to sign, and I did. "Take a fu*king Xanax, it's not like I'm asking you to wear something other than black." The look on his face was priceless. He had a permanent 'O' fixed in place, but finally closed his mouth and smiled. I lifted my arms higher, and closed my eyes, letting the wind do what it will. I lost track of time, but at some point or another, I sat down and put my seatbelt back on. I had a huge smile on my face as I could hear my dad laughing from inside my head.

That was fu*king priceless! You do make me proud. I want you to know that.

And you make me laugh, Dad.

We finally arrived home. Dad pulled his jeep into the garage. He made no move to exit, but instead turned to me. "Phoenix, you scared the hell out of me, but then... then you did something... you said something... it was just like I was fifteen again. Never mind." He didn't look at me again, or sign anything. He just looked like he was mumbling something, and went inside.

It was time for me to get a shower and get some sleep. I had smiled, laughed, and cried more tonight than I ever thought possible.

When I finished with my shower, I was drying off and entered my room. I loved my custom Phoenix. My dads had made it for me when I was born. It made me feel safe. A phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor. It was my favorite bird. I had a few frivolous wants. There really wasn't anything I needed. I wanted one tattoo, of a phoenix. I wanted dog tags made just like my father's with a third one added of a phoenix, and I already had my custom shoes, my dad's jacket, and I always had something orange on. It just happened. I had my own style, but everyone swears I get it all from my dad. Right now, I just wanted sleep, and dreams of good times to come.

Did you enjoy yourself this evening, Phoenix?

More than you know, Dad.

I'm happy to hear that.

I have a question for you. Why did you have to die?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

That still doesn't answer my question, Dad.

Let's try this; I regret I have but one life to give for my country. That was Nathan Hale.

You sacrificed yourself to save people who wanted no part in the war.

Correct.

You quote like Yoda does. Also, Nathan Hale is mis-quoted.

Goodnight, Son. I love you.

Goodnight, Dad. I love you too.