Fireflies

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Fireflies

Phoenix's POV:

My dad, Kota, had stood up and gathered everyone's attention. I was still acutely aware of Nova's hand that was linked with mine, but it was time to pay attention.

"Thank you everyone for coming. It has been a long time since we have had such a large family gathering. After these next few announcements we will hopefully be able to make these happen even more often. Recently our family from the Louisville School announced that they are making their permanent home here with us. Our family is continuing to grow thanks to the Jacobs Clan. They will be making commutes back and forth for a while, but this is now their home. Next, I would like you to look across the street and tell me if you notice anything different."

I turned my head at the same time Nova did, knocking out heads together. I winced slightly, but she laughed. I took my thumb and checked the spot just in case.

Just in case? Checking boo-boo's already. You are worse than your Papa Sean. Next you'll be curing giggles.

I rolled my eyes as I smiled at my dad. I looked at the small yellow house across the street. Well, small in comparison to ours and the Tomas'. Wait, something was missing. I turned back to my dad, my eyes wide. I quickly signed to him, "The for sale sign is gone. Who is moving in?"

Grandma Hannah stood up, and had a radiant smile on her face. "That is now my house, and in turn it is open to each of you as well. This cul-de-sac is a gated family community now as some others have purchased homes on this street as well." Grammy tapped her forehead, acting like she was thinking really hard. The younger siblings started raising their hands and laughing while yelling out silly answers.

"Dr. Seuss!"

"Mr. Chocolate!"

"Thash shilly. Chocwatt can't buy houshesh."

"Can too!"

Dad put his hands up to calm everyone down. "Alright. Those are all very good answers. The correct answers are Aunt Jessica, Pam and Casey, Ji and Fahmida, and Charles and Becky, Christopher and Desiree." There was laughter and hugs all around. Dad got our attention once more. "Jessica? Would you Vivi and Roxi mind taking the younger children to play some games?" They smiled and quickly got the little ones over to the Tomas yard. "Now, for the big news."

Oy! Fu*k, there's bigger news?

What? You mean you don't know?

I've been hanging out with you, Son.

"After recent events, and the aforementioned, there will be a new team formed. This will be for a trial period to see what happens. A young team like this has not been formed since, well, since our team eons ago."

Dad is really dragging this out.

Yes, he is. It is very unlike Kota.

"The new team members, from oldest to youngest, are as follows: Alyosha Ravenstahl, Phoenix Lee, Violet Lee, Nova Toma, Aiden Jacobs, Ricci Whitt, Cherie Morgan, and Cadence Griffin."

Once dad finished, the rest of the night went by in a blur. I remember congratulatory hugs from everyone, back pats, then that the eight of us being told that we were attending team building camp in two days. Several of us had already done this, but it would be different attending as a team.

After everyone was in bed, I snuck downstairs and went out back to the trampoline. I laughed internally. Everyone knew I came out here when I needed to do some light thinking. Now that I had my dad to talk to, I could stay out here all night long and really chat. Everything was quiet when I checked the perimeter of the house. So I just laid back and stared at the stars for a while thinking about the events of the evening. I can't believe we were going to be made a team even if it was on a trial basis.

I didn't get to tell you congratulations earlier. It was a bit... busy.

Thanks, Dad.

...

Hey, Dad?

Yeah, Son.

What was it like when you were first put on a team?

Well, Nate, Luke, Kota, Victor, and I started in Kindergarten together. We... we had a rotten life and just sort of gelled. You know how your Papa Luke can pickpocket something right out of your hand and you would never know it? He learned that when we were really young so he could steal back lunch money from bullies.

I never knew that. Although he can't swipe things from me anymore. It's like I can feel the air pressure change. It's weird trying to explain it.

Ha-ha, now I didn't know that.

But then how did the team form if there were only five of you?

Owen and Sean had heard that something was going on in the school and came to check it out only to discover us. At that time, Victor was calling the shots. So one thing led to another, Owen and Sean introduced us to the Academy. A couple years later Silas joined us, then another year later so did North. Then your mother walked her beautiful a** into our lives, and the rest as they say, is history.

Did you have problems?

Every team has problems, Son. As long as you remember to talk things through and don't let them fester, you will make it as well. You have a visitor.

I know.

I felt the trampoline compress slightly as she climbed closer to me. Honeysuckles.

I need to teach you how to make perfumes.

She smells perfect already.

You got that from your mom too.

I knew that she was lying next to me on her back with her hands on her stomach, while I had my hands behind my head. It was comfortable companionship. After a while, I decided I wanted to talk to her, but I didn't really want to move. I removed one of my hands from behind my head and took her hand that was closest to me.

"H-i." I signed into hand, one letter at a time. I felt her giggle. "A-r-e y-o-u e-x-c-i-t-e-d -o-r s-c-a-r-e-d?"

Our hands traded places. "D-o y-o-u- p-r-o-m-i-s-e t-o t-a-k-e c-a-r-e o-f u-s?"

I sat up and looked at her in the eyes. "Yes. I will always take care of you." Nova stared a little longer, searching before a reassuring smile and nod. I laid back down, but our hands never detached.

Something had happened between us today. As we continued staring up at the sky, the fireflies seemed to congregate over top of us. It was as if they were lighting up just for us.

 It was as if they were lighting up just for us

'You would not believe your eyes

If ten million fireflies

Lit up the world as I fell asleep

'Cause they fill the open air

And leave teardrops everywhere

You'd think me rude but I would just stand and stare'

-Owl City