French Lessons

CHAPTER ELEVEN

French Lessons

Phoenix's POV:

It was a nice evening, and I could smell burgers and hot dogs on the grill. Papa North, Brandon, and Papa Silas were taking care of the grill. Mom and Kayli were sitting with Gabrielle and Sebastien, and talking quietly. Cadence and Cherie were keeping their heads down while Papa Owen directed them on mixing the ingredients for what I think was potato salad on the outside island. Doctor Evil was keeping a watchful eye on Xavier and Alexander as they sat and listened to whatever scary story she was animatedly telling. Violet was playing duck-duck-goose with my cousins, Averie, and Isis.

I turned just in time to see the rest of the Tomas come across the yard, but all I saw was Nova. She had a simple yellow sundress on that tied just behind her neck, and the hem was short, but not too short.

You've got it bad, Son.

No kidding, Dad. She's just so, so...

Je veux faire avec vous ce printemps fait avec les cerisiers.

What is that? Those words taste funny.

I told it to your mother once day about a year after we met. It means, I want to do with

you what spring does with the cherry trees.

"Nova. I..." I realized she had all her dads with her except for Brandon. It probably wasn't the best timing. "I need your help getting the younger children cleaned up and ready for dinner."

She turned to look at Axel. He gave a quick nod of his head. "I'll come and help too." Alyosha quickly butted in. I hadn't even seen him. Now that I looked, everyone was there. Celia was there with her girlfriend, Keri; then Vivienne and Roxanne, and the youngest, Ethan. The worst is that Alyosha now had a predatory look to him. Wolf in sheep's clothing.

I quickly signed, "Sure. Come on, Ethan. Let's find everyone." I swiped my hand down my face. I can't believe I didn't see my best friend standing right there. Of course he would notice me tripping over myself in front of Nova. My face was probably three shades shy of mars after what we talked about today. I stopped in my tracks. Not now. "Alyosha, can you and Nova start? I left the uh... stereo on in my room."

The stereo, Son?

I need to be alone for a moment, Dad.

Nova's POV:

I watched through my eyelashes as Phoenix ran off to his room. I was a slight bit confused. "Alyosha? Why would he have a stereo?"

My brother started laughing at me. "Wow, sis, you're dense." He walked ahead of me towards Violet after rubbing his hand on my head, messing up my hair.

"Hey! I worked hard to make this look good," I hollered after him.

"It didn't work." He sing-songed back to me.

Ugh. I'll show him. I will find a way to embarrass him in front of Violet. That should get him good. He was wanting to ask her out on a date. A sister's gotta look after her horny brother. They would probably need a chaperone. Oh! Maybe two. I could probably talk Phoenix into going. Phoenix. I was so embarrassed to be in a class with him today. Erica sure didn't hold back. One day, Nova. One day... in the future.

"Nova, snap out of Phoenix-land and come help."

"Alyosha! You are so dead right now." I went right after him. With all the little kids around, I knew I would have backup. Little known fact. Alyosha is the most ticklish in the whole family. When I tackled him, everyone piled on.

"Stop! Stop! I can't take it!" He was laughing and screaming.

Violet joined in. "Isis, Get one of his feet. Alexander, get the other. Ji-Yong, Nabi, hold his arms down." They were so happy to help.

Averie went straight for his cheeks, squishing them together. "Aren't you soooo cute?"

"Averie, save me and I'll buy you an extra chocolate cake." That cheater. She immediately sacrificed herself by diving on top of my brother.

"I volunteer as tribute! I need chocolate!" She was too cute to resist.

I put my hand up so the little ones would stop tickling my brother. "Alright, cheater. Cry uncle and you win."

It took him a moment to catch his breath, but with tears streaking his face and a huge smile he did. "Uncle. I give up. Uncle."

I held my hand out to him and helped him up. "This is seriously going to cost you."

"I really do not like the look in your eye, sis." He wiped the grass off of himself then picked Averie up.

"Chocolate cake! Chocolate cake!" she chanted.

"You shouldn't like it. It is meant to be scary. Boo!" I couldn't help but laugh at Alyosha as he reared back slightly.

"For once you honestly have me scared, but remember I know secrets. Girly secrets. Stuff that would make Phoenix cringe."

I had to weigh my options carefully. I watched as he sat Averie down and we all started walking into the house. He did know everything. Well, mostly everything, but inside our house not much was sacred. While the little ones lined up for the restroom, I tapped him on the back. He turned towards me. I quickly punched him in the gut. "You don't share girly secrets. Ever."

"Okay. That hurt. Our dads would be proud of that punch." Alyosha rubbed the spot on his stomach a bit more before ushering the next one into the bathroom.

Violet and I worked with the little girls in the restroom across the short hallway. Nabi came out of the door and immediately her face brightened up. I turned to see who she was looking at and was met with a pair of bright azure blue eyes.

My mouth opened and closed a few times, but nothing came out. Then I noticed my brother making a kissy face behind Phoenix. That got me angry. My pissed off face, the one I only saved for Alyosha, quickly replaced whatever had been there before as I marched over to him. I pulled my left arm back to send another punch his way, but the momentum was stopped. I felt a soft hand circle my wrist.

Phoenix's POV:

I watched a beautiful blush, nature's make-up as my dad had put it, spread across Nova's cheeks. I was happy with the small moment we were sharing. Then Nova had a look of anger as she focused on something beyond me. I watched her march a couple of steps and raise her fist to Alyosha. I couldn't let her do that in front of all these little kids, even if my best friend was annoying her. Without another thought, I reached out and grabbed her raised fist from behind her.

I felt like I just got burned. Her skin was like a furnace, but in a good way. It was soft, like silk. She turned to face me as my hand slid from her wrist to her hand. Her hand was so delicate. Her face, I had stared at her a million hours, but I could swear that this was the first time that I had truly seen her. My heart was beating so hard. She was perfection.

A large body came right between the two of us. That someone being Alyosha. He signed to me, "They are hollering that dinner is ready."

I quickly signed back, "Thank you." I gave another look to Nova who was linking the children up to make a train by having them place their hands on each other's shoulders. She was acting as the caboose, and Violet was at the front. Alyosha may be my best friend, but it was a dick move on his part. We would have to talk about it later. He had been making googly eyes at Violet for a couple years, but I never once had done anything like what he had done. Why was it irking me so much?

Because it's love, Son.

h