Chapter Three

Brody tapped his foot impatiently as he waited for the stage to show up. He looked at the large clock on the bank tower and saw that it was ten minutes after twelve. The stage was ten minutes late. Brody grumbled and took a draw off his cigarette. He had better things to do then wait on some hoity toity, prim and proper princess to show up, so he could take her home and try to hook her up with his brother.

He couldn't believe he'd been roped into having a part in this idea of Elizabeth's but all that damn woman had to do was stick out that stubborn chin and nibble his neck and he was helpless to say no to anything she wanted. The bad part was she damn well knew the power she had over him and she wasn't afraid to use it!

He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw the stage coming. He put his cigarette out on his boot before sliding it behind his ear and pulling down his hat. He put his thumbs through his belt loops and put his weight on his good leg as he waited for the stage to come to a stop.

"Morning sheriff." the stage driver said as he pulled the horses to a stop.

"Morning Todd." Brody replied with a nod. Todd jumped down and opened the door and Brody raised a brow and shook his head as a woman emerged from inside.

She was exactly what he'd expected. Powdered face, perfectly styled hair, fancy satin and lace dress that hugged her body and covered every inch of skin. Her rigid posture could only be explained by a corset and he was again thankful for Elizabeth who didn't feel the need to wear one of those confounded contraptions. A very pretty, prim and proper lady... Not exactly his type but Jacob had always been a little weird. He'd like her.

"Good morning sheriff." she said with a bright smile that lit up her blue eyes. Brody grunted and looked up at the large clock on the tower.

"By my count it's afternoon." he replied. She ran her hand over her raven black hair and looked up at the clock.

"It seems you are correct sheriff." she replied lightheartedly. Inside Ellie was tied in knots. This man was intimidating. He was tall and lean. Rugged and untamed looking. He had a hard look to his green eyes that told you he knew how to take care of himself. But then again, so did Ellie.

"Perhaps you can help me sheriff." Ellie said, maintaining the bright cheerful quality of her voice. Unaware that to Brody it sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard. "I was supposed to meet a Mr. Atkinson here today." Todd sat her heavy trunk on the boardwalk with a grunt and pointed at Brody.

"That's him. Sheriff Brody Atkinson." Ellie nearly choked on her tongue but fought to keep her composure.

"Hello Mr. Atkinson.. Or do I call you sheriff?" she asked holding out her gloved hand. Brody shook her hand quickly and then picked up the heavy trunk in his large calloused hands, as if it was nothing.

"Brody'll do, Miss Bradshaw." he said as he started down the boardwalk. Ellie struggled to keep up with him, the corset making every breath she took extremely difficult. She couldn't believe his rudeness or the fact that Otis would send her to con and rob a sheriff! The man either had a lot of faith in her abilities or he wanted to see her locked up for the rest of her life.

"Would it be okay with you, Brody, if I went to the post office?" she asked. Brody grumbled under his breath as he sat the trunk in the wagon and turned to look down at her. She was short, he realized. Barely more than five feet tall.

"What for?" he asked gruffly. Ellie had a sudden surge of sympathy of this mans wife.

"I would like to send a wire to my family. Let them know I made it here safe and sound." she said, batting her lashes charmingly.

"Ya got something in your eye?" Brody asked raising a brow. Clearly she found herself to be charming. He found her to be highly annoying. Ellie stuttered several times before plastering her smile back on her face. Brody sighed.