Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Jacob watched his brother sleeping on the train that afternoon. He still couldn't seem to wrap his mind around everything that had happened. He had killed a man. Jacob had never before killed anyone. He had always thought that killing someone automatically made a man a murderer and a bad person. But if he hadn't killed Otis then Ellie would be dead....

Jacob realized that his beliefs his whole life had been wrong. Both Ellie and Brody had helped to teach him that. Ellie may have lied and used people to get what she wanted but it was because she herself was being used. She hadn't had a choice and she what she had done did not make her a bad person.

Brody had killed countless men. Some in self defense, others for revenge... But he was a good man. He had been willing to sacrifice himself to save those he cared about with no questions asked and without any hesitation. Brody was none of the things that Jacob had always accused him of being. He wasn't selfish, irresponsible or arrogant. He was the most self-sacrificing, strong and responsible man that Jacob had ever known.

Jacob looked around the fairly empty train. The doctor had patched up Brody's leg and arm and had tried to tell the man that he needed to rest for a day or two to let his wounds set, but of course Brody had grumbled at that request and said it was time to go home to his wife. The doctor had also let the women clean up and had patched up Ellie's neck. The sisters were curled up together in their seats, also sound asleep.

Jacob let out a sigh and looked back at Brody who was now awake and watching him, "You know it ain't right to sit and watch another man while he's sleeping. Makes a man feel a little out of sorts to tell you the truth."

Jacob frowned and dropped his gaze to his knees. Brody grumbled under his breath and sat up a little straighter, wincing at the aching in his arm and leg, "What's wrong?" he grunted. Brody would honestly rather get shot again than get into a discussion about feelings with his brother but he could tell the man needed to talk.

"Otis almost killed her Brody and it was because I was foolish."

"How do you got that figured?" Brody asked.

"I left her outside alone. I didn't realize how much danger we were really in and he got his hands on her. Then those men came and I didn't even help you. I wasted all my bullets and almost got you killed. I'm about as useless as tits on a boar hog."

Brody shook his head at his brothers self loathing. Jacob had always been too hard on everyone, including himself, and he was damn professional when it came to complaining, "Jacob, it ain't your fault that you don't know much about fighting or the real dangers of lawless men. You took after pa. Do you think pa would have known how to handle himself out there? You and pa are peace loving men and that's a good thing. If everybody in the world was like me, the whole world would already be dead. Now quit beating yourself up. It's over, we're all alive and we're going home."

"But..."

"Dammit, Jacob, I'm sore and I'm tired. You are a good man. You killed Otis and saved Ellie. And since I'm your brother, I had your back for the rest of it. Now get some rest and let me sleep so I can forget for a while that I'm shot all to hell and riding in a damn train. I hate trains," Brody leaned back in his seat and covered his face with his hat.

Jacob couldn't help but chuckle. Brody might be a man willing to die for those he cared about but he was also an ass, who had no time or patience for anyone who felt sorry for themselves. Mama had been the same way when it came to that. She always said there were enough other people in the world to feel sorry for and you didn't need to waste time feeling sorry for yourself.