Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Jacob stood there in disbelief. He'd been working up his courage all week to do something about his feelings for Ellie. He had only planned on coming down here and talking to her but when he had seen her standing there in the sunlight coming through the window, with her silky black hair hanging down her back and that soft blue dress outlining the feminine curve of her back and hips, all of his good intentions had vanished.

He had suddenly been struck with a thought. What would Brody do? Brody had always been the risk taker between the two of them. Jacob had come to the conclusion that the answer to the question, what would Brody do, was quite simple. Brody would grab the woman, kiss her senseless and leave no room for doubt about what he wanted and how he felt.

So that's what Jacob had done and he had fully expected her to slap him but she hadn't.

"Can you ride a horse?" he asked, feeling a little stupid once the words were out of his mouth.

She nodded, "I was raised in Texas," she replied and he could hear the breathless quality of her voice. Her lips were red from his hungry kisses and her cheeks were flushed. She looked thoroughly kissable and he had to force himself to take a step away from her. Susie could come in here at any time.

"I'll go saddle two horses. Susie has a riding skirt you can wear, just go up to her room and get it."

Ellie nodded and then quickly left the kitchen. Jacob grabbed some bread, cheese and apples and wrapped them in a thin white tablecloth from the cabinet. He carried his bundle outside and quickly went about saddling two horses.

"Where you going?" Cookie asked from his chair beside the barn. "Elizabeth said everybody was taking the day off today."

"I'm going for a ride," Jacob replied as he stuck the bundle of food into the saddlebags of his brown gelding.

"With two horses?" Cookie asked, with a smirk when he saw Miss Bradshaw coming out of the house wearing a leather split riding skirt and a white blouse, "Ahh, I see, " he said with a chuckle and a nod.

Jacob turned and caught sight of her and felt his heart begin to beat out of his chest. She had a nervous smile on her face and her cheeks still looked flushed beneath the hat he had bought for her, "Are you ready?" Jacob asked.

"Yeah, I'm ready," she replied and he could hear a shakiness in her voice that confused him. Was she nervous that he would hurt her or was she just nervous to be alone with him because she was innocent? Jacob helped her up into the saddle, keeping his hand on her hip longer than was really necessary, before jumping up onto his own horse.

Ellie followed Jacob out over the fields. Her lips were still tingling from his kiss and she was filled with anticipation. Would today be the day that she lost her innocence? Would she finally give away her body? She could think of no other man she would rather to give herself to, especially after that kiss they had shared.

'Alice?" Jacob said looking back at her. "Are you okay?"

Ellie forced a smile as she caught up to Jacob. She wondered what her name would sound like washing over his full, firm lips in that deep, soothing baritone voice of his, "Of course. I was just enjoying the scenery. It's very peaceful out here."

Jacob nodded as he looked around, "Yeah it is. I grew up in Virginia. There were mountains all around. You could climb to the top of a mountain and see for miles. Sometimes the fog would settle down and it would look like a sea dotted with tiny islands. It was beautiful."