XV - Trick or treat?

[RECAP: It's Hallowe'en, and Juliet is partying with her schoolfriends, trying to put thoughts of her sexy but forbidden teacher Carl Spencer out of her mind...]

If Aunt Mary had seen Juliet now she would have clutched her rosary, crossed herself and fallen on her knees in prayer. And probably tried to have Juliet committed to a nunnery.

Juliet had got dressed for Hallowe'en earlier that evening at Fhemie's house, along with Margot. Two slutty witches and a slutty witch's cat, since Fhemie with her dancer's physique looked awesome in a skin tight leotard. She wore a little pair of cat ears and had a tail swishing from her butt.

Juliet's costume was made of black and purple satin low cut in the neckline above a fitted bodice. Shredded strips of satin and gauze formed the skirt, going all the way up her thighs. She was worried that it was a bit too much.

"Everything is practically hanging out everywhere," she complained.

"Yeah, that's why it's Slutty Witch," Fhemie said. "It's like bad luck not to look slutty on Hallowe'en. It keeps ghosts away."

She waved goodbye to her mother, who was talking on the phone to Fhemie's grandmother in Tagalog. Fhemie grinned, translating for them. "She's just reassuring Granny that I'm doing well and attending to my Bible studies."

"Thank God it's not a video call or you'd give your grandmother a stroke, wearing that," Margot said.

The three of them were going to a party being held not far from Dover Avenue where Juliet's new band rehearsed. It was the usual scene: much drunkenness, people falling into a swimming pool, couples making out all over the place.

"A proper Hallowe'en orgy," Fhemie said, satisfied. She disappeared into a nearby bedroom with a cute Hispanic guy soon after they arrived and the others didn't see her again for hours.

Terrance, the guy Margot was now dating, was interstate that weekend. They weren't officially exclusive but Margot was hoping it might get that way, so she had decided to stay away from other guys that night.

It was hard though: the slutty witch costumes that she and Juliet were wearing attracted a lot of attention.

"There's nothing stopping you," Margot said to Juliet after she had brushed off yet another guy.

"I know. I guess I'm just not in the mood."

Margot looked at her evilly. "And I know why. You can't get a certain someone out of your head, can you?"

Juliet tried to deny it but it was obviously true.

"Never mix business with pleasure. You've made a fatal mistake," Margot told her. "You should have stayed dispassionate. Reeled him in, spat him out, and collected the money."

They had both already had too much of the Hallowe'en Punch and this loosened Juliet's lips. "He lives not far from here," she said.

"What? How the hell do you know that?!"

Juliet shrugged. "He mentioned it once. When he gave me a lift in the rain that time."

"What's the street name?" Margot asked.

"Aspen Drive."

A plan was already ticking over in Margot's head but Juliet was getting too fuzzy to think straight. She wandered off to get them both some more punch and bumped into a guy, sending the drinks flying. "Hey! Sorry." He thought the collision was his fault.

"No problem, it was me who tripped," Juliet told him. He looked vaguely familiar but she couldn't place him. While she was struggling to put a name to the face, he recognised her.